Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Revit add simple schedule totals together?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
hashah935ZJ
915 Views, 16 Replies

Why can't Revit add simple schedule totals together?

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm trying to figure scheduling out. 
I have two columns of totals. Both the totals are calculated using formula after formula. 

My total for the two columns is perfectly fine, all I need to do is, combine these totals into a new column.

Please see the images:

hashah935ZJ_0-1723155798042.png

For the last column, I simply add the two:

hashah935ZJ_1-1723155863916.png

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, or if this is not possible.

Another thing is calculated percentage. I guess the answer to the above would mean the same thing for below:

hashah935ZJ_2-1723156544729.png

Trying to do simple division, and it's just wrong.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Thanks, 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: hashah935ZJ

Add another calculated value parameter that sum the two columns. Make sure all of them using the same unit type.

For percentage, tick percentage button instead of formula for the calculated value parameter.

Message 3 of 17
hashah935ZJ

Hi @toan

Thank you for the reply! 

Isn't the 3rd Column I have 'Total units in store'  calculated value parameter? That third column is telling A+B to give me C. (Sorry if I misunderstand - total noob)

As for the percentage, I don't have any options other than selecting Grand total?

hashah935ZJ_0-1723159236487.png

I want to be able to divide Total Units Apparel by Total Backroom Units

Thanks for your help! 

Message 4 of 17

Have a look at this The Revit Kid's video, it might help you sort this out.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 5 of 17
hashah935ZJ

Just to add on the above...
I'm trying to do calcs on the totals:

hashah935ZJ_0-1723217258829.png

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 17
Mike.FORM

In you schedule do you have grand totals checked in the sorting tab?

MikeFORM_0-1723469267760.png

And then in the formatting tab have you set each of the parameters to calculate totals?

MikeFORM_1-1723469337214.png

Message 7 of 17
hashah935ZJ
in reply to: Mike.FORM

Hi Mike,

Yes and Yes to both of your questions.

Message 8 of 17
ridantuo

SALES FLOOR OPTIMUM UNITS:

Total Units  Apparel / Total Backdoor Units = 1860 / 2540 = 1,20

So isn't the math wrong if you want % so *100 is missing?

ridantuo_1-1723544845445.png

Not sure what the goal is and what units these are?

Like ToaND said: "--Make sure all of them using the same unit type."

PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
Around 90% of issues can be explained by human error instead of an actual error.
Message 9 of 17
hashah935ZJ
in reply to: ridantuo

Hi @ridantuo , 

Thanks for the reply.

The goal is simple: 10 /20 = .5

Similarly:

1860/ 2540 = should equal .73

But in Revit, it's showing 13. 

Why? It should be a decimal number...

or in the formula, do I have to specify that I want calculations done from the total? 

I'm just confused.. 

Message 10 of 17
ridantuo

Yeah, I totally goofed there myself it seems 😁

The 13 is weird tho 🤔

EDIT: Is there anything hidden on the schedules or is that all of it? And maybe this can help:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/furniture-schedule-calculate-the-ratio-of-to...

PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer.
Around 90% of issues can be explained by human error instead of an actual error.
Message 11 of 17
hashah935ZJ

@ridantuo it's all good haha.

And yes, there is a lot of stuff hidden lol. 
Maybe that's the issue? Do i have to remove some items that are hidden? not sure..

Message 12 of 17
Mike.FORM

I'm pretty sure you are getting 13 because Revit does calculated parameters weird when "itemize every Instance" is unchecked.

It is doing the calculated parameter as if "itemize every instance" is checked and then adding all those totals together.

Here is a schedule with "itemize every instance" unchecked.

MikeFORM_0-1724937231702.png

Here is the same schedule with "itemize every instance" checked.

MikeFORM_1-1724937274779.png

Length / Height is a calculated parameter and in the first one it is adding up the values seen in the second table not doing a calculation on the totals of 38700 / 12700 which should be 3.04724.

The more items in the schedule the further away the calculated parameter will get from what you expect.

Message 13 of 17
hashah935ZJ

@Mike.FORM 

I think you are correct and that's exactly whats happening.

So... with that being the case, do we have a solution? or we're just stuck here?

Thanks,

Message 14 of 17
Mike.FORM

I do not think there is a way to get the calculated parameter to work as you would expect.

Even if you turn on grand totals in the sorting/grouping tab the same issue happens with those.

Someone else might know of a way to do it by adding a whole bunch of helper parameters but I do not know unfortunately.

Message 15 of 17
TripleM-Dev.net

Hi @Mike.FORM,

FYI, formulas are always calculated on the individual elements never on grouped/summed values.

So "itemize every Instance" on or off doesn't matter what revit is concerned (Whished there was a option to calculate on the actual visible/calculated value and not the underlaying element value)

I's possble to calculate with summed results, but you will need 2 or 3 additional columns just to calc.

You need to set the summed value equal to 100% and then back to how much the elements value is %-wise of the total (percentage formula usage + correct grouping).

If there can be elements with a value of 0, then it gets tricky, and you need to convert first it to a really small value, like 0.00001, else you will be dividing by 0 and will not be calculated.

I've setup several schedules as described above, but it's a pain to maintain. I've stepped over to the API to pull the info from simple schedules and pass the calculated values over to other element where we can calculate with single elements.

- Michel

Message 16 of 17
Mike.FORM

I do agree in general with how Revit deals with the grouped/summed values but when it comes to percentage values there should be a way to treat it differently.

Even if you have grand totals turned on it still sums the percentage values instead of using the grand totals of the respective fields in the formula and performing the operation.

Message 17 of 17
TripleM-Dev.net

Here's a sample with the 4 walls:

Schedule_Calc_with_Summed_values.png

In red the additional columns (in this case 2 per field, because I don't need to worry about a 0-value, as each wall will have a length and height > 0)

Schedule_Calc_with_Summed_values_all.png

Above the same schedule with all items, for this to work the schedule has to be set to Calculate totals.

First we take the percentage of the total Lengths

Field: total_length_percentage:

Schedule_Total_length_percentage.png

Field: total_length_value, this is a Length calculate field, with the formula: Length / total_length_percentage

And this is then actually the total sum of all length.

Same trick for the Height.

And the field: Length / Height will have as formula: total_length_value / total_height_value

This field can't be set to a calculation, because then it will sum 3 * 4 = 12.

Some some basic calculations like this it's doable, but for multi grouped summed values this will become a nightmare to create/manage.

Hope it helps.

- Michel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report