Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if you are working on a cloud model and your computer crashes?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
semi
684 Views, 18 Replies

What if you are working on a cloud model and your computer crashes?

Hi everyone,

When you save a model to the cloud for the first time, it makes a cloud model online and saves it locally in your AppData folder in your "username" map.

If you then keep working in this model for an entire day and you keep saving to the cloud, by the end of the day you need to publish everything to add all the changes to the online model, correct?

What happens when you are working in this model for an entire day and make changes and save these to that temporarly model in the AppData and before you publish everything, you computer crashes totally.

All your work would then be lost correct?

Is there a way to save the local AppData copy on an external server, so you can never lose it in case of a crash?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
RSomppi
in reply to: semi

@semi wrote:

Is there a way to save the local AppData copy on an external server, so you can never lose it in case of a crash?

Yes. Synch to the cloud model.

@semi wrote:

If you then keep working in this model for an entire day and you keep saving to the cloud, by the end of the day you need to publish everything to add all the changes to the online model, correct?

Well, that depends on what you mean by the "online model". There's the central cloud model and the published model is separate and for purposes other tha developing the project model like.

Message 3 of 19
SG-T

Isn't it easier to create an ACC folder online where you link you central model cache data?

Standard this is C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit

It's safer to put the Cache location onto the cloud itself. For example: ACCDocs\xxxx\Cloud Model Cache\Project Files\ "Every Project of your business"

Message 4 of 19
RSomppi
in reply to: SG-T

@SG-T wrote:

Isn't it easier to create an ACC folder online where you link you central model cache data?

Standard this is C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit

It's safer to put the Cache location onto the cloud itself. For example: ACCDocs\xxxx\Cloud Model Cache\Project Files\ "Every Project of your business"

I'm gonna have to wholeheartedly disagree. We use those local copies as a fallback for when the cloud becomes unavailable.

How would you do that anyway? I don't think there is an option to change the location.

Message 5 of 19
SG-T
in reply to: RSomppi

I think its safer to save on the cloud and locally as a backup, but if your comp crashes you’re in big trouble.

u can change the cache location by going to Options=> Cloud Model => Cloud Model cavhe location

Message 6 of 19
RSomppi

@SG-T wrote:

I thinks its safer to save on the cloud and locally as a backup

Of course it is, that is the recommended workflow.

Message 7 of 19
mhiserZFHXS

@SG-T wrote:

I think its safer to save on the cloud and locally as a backup, but if your comp crashes you’re in big trouble.

You should really have multiple physical backups. Whether you have a server that you backup or just an external hard drive that you save to at the end of every day. Don't leave your work susceptible to one, or even two failures.

Message 8 of 19
SG-T
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

I just don't get the point why a sync to a central model saved on the cloud isn't the same as a publish?

When I sync to central after opening a cloud model, it doesn't save to the actual cloud model. The time stamp is never updated on the DOCS. I always need to publish to update the cloud model. Even while the central model location is on Autodesk Docs:// ?

Why couldnt it be simply:

Save => Save local

Sync => Sync to Cloud or Central

Example:

I sync:

SGT_0-1714661754317.png

Online viewer stays the same:

SGT_1-1714661891208.png

In Revit:

SGT_2-1714661985664.png

Message 9 of 19
ToanDN

If you crash and Revit does not prompt a save a recovery file message then you will lose some work no matter where you keep the cache or the local model.

On top of that, use anything other than your local drive to store cache is the worst idea ever if you understand how computers handle data, memory, cache.. not to mention the speed handicap.

Message 10 of 19
RSomppi
in reply to: ToanDN

You must ahve misunderstood my post if you are really replying to me.

Sorry...

Message 11 of 19
RSomppi

@SG-T wrote:

I just don't get the point why a sync to a central model saved on the cloud isn't the same as a publish?

A published model has diferent purposes. As soon as someone synchs after a publish, the published model is out of date until the next publish.

Message 12 of 19
SG-T

Ok, so if u want another team to work on the cloud model you MUST publish before they can continue right?

Message 13 of 19
RSomppi

If you want them to work in conjunction with you on your model, publishing is not a part of that process. They would need to be added to your project in order to work live with you.

Message 14 of 19
SG-T

Yeh ofcourse, but they can only view the latest model which is published not synced?

Message 15 of 19
RSomppi

Sorry, but you are not being very clear. If they are to be working live with you, the published model doesn't come into play.

Message 16 of 19
SG-T

Look at my screenshots above, if my synced model does not update online (workshared cloud model which only updates after publish latest) how would they acces the latest model I just synced? 

Message 17 of 19
RSomppi

I think you need to refresh your knowledge of proper workflows. Publishing is for other purposes.

Message 18 of 19
ToanDN

No I was replying to OP. Sorry for the confusion.

Message 19 of 19
RSomppi

@SG-T wrote:

Look at my screenshots above, if my synced model does not update online (workshared cloud model which only updates after publish latest) how would they acces the latest model I just synced? 

Have you had a chance to refresh your memory on how synching and publishing are different?

A published model is a snapshot in time. As soon as anyone synchs with central, the published model is out of date, exactly what you are seeing. Your consultants need to access the central model, not the puclished one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report