Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USING AUTOCAD BLOCKS IN REVIT

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
7981 Views, 10 Replies

USING AUTOCAD BLOCKS IN REVIT

Please help. I am using Revit 2017 and loving it. However, I moved to a firm that primarily uses AutoCAD for drafting but I would still ant to use Revit. The drawings are supposed to be standardized and have uniform objects across all projects and the objects are in AutoCAD block format. Please advice on the most effective way of using these blocks in Revit

Thank you in advance 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous hello, can you explain more about autocad block format? if is a standard detail drawing you can go view > drafting view > give name of  your detail and set your scale > once your drafting view open > go insert > link cad and select your file. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

if youre trying to reproduce drawings in revit to look like the dwgs out of autocad - IMHO you havent got a chance..... unless you import the dwg onto a drafting view. even then getting the sheets to look the same is unlikely......

got to ask - WHY?!

Message 4 of 11
andybrack

Based on your question, there are a few alternatives, depending on the intended outcome. In the long run, your best bet is to start building up your family library.  AutoCAD blocks are not a direct 1:1 substitute because Revit families allow you to do a lot more.  My company uses a mixture of families depending on our needs. Simple 2D families include just linework and are great for fast studies or schematic presentations. If a project is more developed, we switch to full 3D families that will show up in plan, elevations, 3D views, and sections.

1. If you want the content of the blocks usable as loose objects, then create a new Family. Good examples would be for Specialty Equipment or Furniture. I usually make these floor or face hosted. This will allow you to move the objects around and place them in your plans.
  2. If you want objects that Revit normally hosts to other objects, such as doors and windows, these are wall hosted families.
  3. If your block is a standard detail drawing, you can bring in the linework by linking your CAD file into the Revit model in a drafting view. Insert > Link CAD.

Sincerely,

Andy Brack

Message 5 of 11
Sahay_R

Welcome to the Revit-lovers club! Glad to have you here!

However, my concern is that while you are working with Revit in a primarily AutoCAD environment,

1. working in 2D (as it seems that you will be) would not let you utilize all the wonderful capabilities that Revit offers

2. this could create challenges for other team members or consultants - who may need to work on the same project.

As far as AUtoCAD blocks go, import them into Revit drafting views or families. But again thius will not give you the advantages of working with Revit components. For minimum frustration and maximum productivity, work entirely in one software. Just my two cents.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 6 of 11
RobDraw

The most effective way to use AutoCAD blocks in Revit is not to do it at all. Don't even import them for conversion purposes. Some things don't import well or at all and the import creates a lot of unnecessary overhead that can bloat your project file.

As to the comment about making things look like the current AutoCAD standards:

While getting it exact is a pipe dream, you can absolutely come close, but that depends on the AutoCAD environment. Text styles can be a stumbling block.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 11
hanslammerts
in reply to: RobDraw

May i remind you that this product was acquired in 2002 by Autodesk.

Going on to 2017, these two 'sollutions' to the challenge remain the best
1. Dont use AutoCAD (get white)
2. Dont use Revit (stay black)

..way to go,.. Autodesk..

However, there can be some new developments be spotted.

this one, using  a new fileformat to go along.

Stabicad is a dutch developer

https://youtu.be/5kLLBXb9a_o

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: hanslammerts

have you tried finding somewhere to slot in a floppy disk lately........ 😉

Message 9 of 11
hanslammerts

Than you must be confusing developments in hardware technology with incompatible software -makers

Message 10 of 11
dgorsman

@Anonymous wrote:

Please help. I am using Revit 2017 and loving it. However, I moved to a firm that primarily uses AutoCAD for drafting but I would still ant to use Revit. The drawings are supposed to be standardized and have uniform objects across all projects and the objects are in AutoCAD block format. Please advice on the most effective way of using these blocks in Revit

Thank you in advance 

Simple: meet the standards laid out by your employer.  As a (presumably relatively) new employee you should be working within the established system, regardless of personal preferences.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

It's not uncommon to use Revit for design, creating floor plans, RCPs, elevations, sections, etc... and use AutoCAD for detailing, especially typical details.  The big question is that does your firm use Revit at all or just you are wanting to use it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report