Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typing in the viewport, not in the properties palette

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
55chuteT9MXS
561 Views, 14 Replies

Typing in the viewport, not in the properties palette

Hello, I have a dummy tag that I have created with some nested text parameters.  Currently, I can only edit the text via the properties palette which is kkind of a pain because the text box is small, etc.  Is it possible to exit the text directly from the screen rather than the palette?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Sean_Page
in reply to: 55chuteT9MXS

In order to do this, you will need to make sure a Project Parameter has been added that uses the same Shared parameter as the family. Once that is added, you should be able to type directly in like a Room or Door tag.

Message 3 of 15
ToanDN

A long single click on the label of the generic annotation family instance doesn't work?  Share the family here then.

Message 4 of 15
55chuteT9MXS
in reply to: ToanDN

So shared parameters always seem to throw me.  I think that Spage is giving me the right method but I think I need it more spelled out for me.  Created a family called dummy parameter that is a detail item.  made label parameter shared and nested into detail item family, then associated label with text parameter "Title" and loaded into the project but still cant just type in the viewport?  I know it is something simple but.....

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 15
ToanDN

If it is a generic annotation family (dumb tag as you said it) then there is no need for a shared parameter.  You simply add a label in the family, add a new family parameter, push it to the label composition area, and it's about it.

ToanDN_0-1654014427303.png

Share your family here if you want to fix it.

Message 6 of 15
55chuteT9MXS

Hello again, attached family and screen shot of project viewport

Message 7 of 15
barthbradley

@55chuteT9MXS wrote:

Hello, I have a dummy tag that I have created with some nested text parameters.  Currently, I can only edit the text via the properties palette which is kkind of a pain because the text box is small, etc.  Is it possible to exit the text directly from the screen rather than the palette?

No. 

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

The reason is that you created it as a detail family.  Nested labels can only edited via properties, not on screen.   Why don't you create it as generic annotation family?

Message 9 of 15
55chuteT9MXS

Because I want to be able to control the length of the line between the
title and r-value, long or short depending on how long the title is

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN

@55chuteT9MXS wrote:
Because I want to be able to control the length of the line between the
title and r-value, long or short depending on how long the title is

Open this generic annotation family, delete the mask, add labels, add a line and constrain it to the ref planes, save and load to your project.  No nested families needed and you will be able to edit the labels directly on screen + stretch the line on screen.

Message 11 of 15
55chuteT9MXS

thanks for the family.  Greatly appreciated.  Every time that I Stretch the line after I load into project, the other side shoots out a big distance and the same when I try from the other side.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
ToanDN

@55chuteT9MXS wrote:

thanks for the family.  Greatly appreciated.  Every time that I Stretch the line after I load into project, the other side shoots out a big distance and the same when I try from the other side.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pin the Left Ref plane.

ToanDN_0-1654019085698.png

Message 13 of 15
55chuteT9MXS

Hi, still not getting it.  Pinned one of the reference planes and still shoots out at either side.  Including the family

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
ToanDN

@55chuteT9MXS wrote:

Hi, still not getting it.  Pinned one of the reference planes and still shoots out at either side.  Including the family

Thanks

You are correct. It only stretches properly when placed on a sheet.  When place on a view, you would have to enter the line length to avoid explosion.

ToanDN_1-1654020564210.png

So you will have to make a compromise: either have the line stretchable and enter the labels via properties; or enter the labels on screen and enter the line length via properties.

Message 15 of 15
55chuteT9MXS

Thank you for all the help! and the quick replies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report