Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trees display as blocks in Realistic style in Revit 2018

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Member1RayG
1908 Views, 6 Replies

Trees display as blocks in Realistic style in Revit 2018

Some trees are OK in Shaded or Constistent visual styles. Most display as a block and all of them fail to display at all in Realistic style.

Is the Render Appearance Library Missing??

Very insidious problem.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dzanta
in reply to: Member1RayG

Trees are RPC content...perhaps the associated files are corrupt or missing.  Try locating them on another Revit 2018 installation that is functioning properly and copy them over to your workstation.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 7
Viveka_CD

Hi @Member1RayG

Install latest ArchVision Dashboard and see if there is any difference.

I would suggest checking the Desktop App to see if there are any Revit updates available. For information on using the Desktop App see the following article: About the Autodesk Desktop App

Note: If you are not able to download updates through the Desktop App, the following article has information on downloading updates through the Autodesk Accounts page:

Install Updates, Add-ons, and Enhancements

Also check topics on Troubleshooting: Rendering

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Kudos welcome!

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
Member1RayG
in reply to: dzanta

I will try your suggestion once I can get access to a correctly functioning Revit 2018.

Thank you for your concern.

Ray Georgiou

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/D...

Does the Family show a "Render Appearance" image (under its Type Properties)? 

Message 6 of 7
Viveka_CD

Hi @Member1RayG

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?

Please mark any posts that help with "Accept as Solution" and thanks! 

Message 7 of 7
Member1RayG
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Viveka,

Thank you for following up.

Several forum members tried to help dzanta and barthbradley, thank you.

The prelude to my problem I did not make clear, my otherwise well optioned up HPZ420 workstation had a smallish hard drive so to make space I uninstalled Versions 2017 AutoCAD and Revit. Then I installed Revit 2018 as an educator which is my profession. Then the trees display as a box problem surfaced. I don't know if the draconian uninstall processes disturbed the libraries or whether this ia a Version 2018 weakness. Tried setting the file path places through options, I also tried the Archvision dashboard and their RPC files - no dice there.

I took the bull by the horns and had my 117Gb hard drive cloned on to a 480Gb drive. Installed Revit extensions and AutoCAD 2018 through the Autodesk Desktop App. The dreaded trees display as a box behaviour was still there irrespective of which visual style is invoked.

SOLUTION

I downloaded some recent and older tree rfa files from BIM Object, Polantis and RevitCity. All of those display beautifully in 3D. The older files display as a graphic icon in plan. The newer ones are sensitive to the View Range cut plane level; but quite beautiful in all Visual Styles.

See the attached word file with screen capture. Also sunlight shadows OK in all Visual Styles. So all one has to do is Purge all the older tree rfa files out of a current project.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that my main focus at the moment is BIM, Revit MEP and Revit Structure and the trees display behaviour was a side issue that got under my skin.

Regards,

Ray Georgiou

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report