Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topography reports incorrect fill values

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
blro.
357 Views, 5 Replies

Topography reports incorrect fill values

I've noticed some very strange behavior with topography, that's making me scared to trust any of it. This problem is reproducible:

1. create a graded region

2. create a new building pad

3. move this building pad

The Fill values go absolutely haywire, and as far as I can tell, have no connection to the actual geometry whatsoever (and if it does, I can't imagine what may be).

There shouldn't be any fill value; it's a hole and there should be thus only cut geometry.

Screencast attached.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: blro.

I don't see the problem. 

There is no fill being reported in your video. Did you post the right video?  

Message 3 of 6
blro.
in reply to: barthbradley

Am I misunderstanding how this works?

It's reporting fill in the second row of the schedule (which is the main new topography being cut) and it’s reporting a net gain in material rather than a net loss. But the value for the fill material just seems to jump around all over the place.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your whole reply in my email.

Message 4 of 6
barthbradley

I see the cut value "jumping", but that's to be expected since the terrain in sloped.  The "depth" of the hole is relative to a level -- not relative to top of Toposurface. 

Message 5 of 6
blro.
in reply to: barthbradley

I agree and the cut value is behaving as expected, but when I move the pad in the video the fill value jumps from :

1.33 to 0.00 to 2.29 to 1.15 to 5.11 to 0.71 to 2.25 to 5.71

It's a hole, right? So the new topography should not be deflecting at all, let alone getting bigger in volume.

Or am I misunderstanding how building pads work?

My other thought was maybe the building pad is too small for it to make an accurate calculation? It tried this with a 10m x 10m (as opposed to 1m x 1m) building pad and the behavior seemed a little more in line with what was to be expected. But this of course isn't great if I need to use them for such small things like cutting stairs into terrain, etc.

Message 6 of 6
barthbradley

The calculated cut and fill volumes are approximate, but usually within plus or minus 2 percent accuracy. I've been using this function for years and have had no great disparities come up between calculated projections and as-built.  Still, I don't see an issue in your video.  There is zero fill consistently being reported.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report