Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

structural column embedded in wall

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
8171 Views, 11 Replies

structural column embedded in wall

I've seen similar postings but nothing helps....

We have walls which line up with hollow structural steel columns. revit displays the gypsum layer as passing through the columns (ie we see lines within the hollow part of the column). I've created a furring wall typ but can't seem to cut or join the walls.

Is there a way to get this to display correctly or do I have to create 2 separate walls on either side of the column?

Thanks a bunch!

Colunm embedded in wall

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you sure that you created that column with the Structural column tool and not with the Architectural column tool?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Pretty sure: when I pick the column it is named "M_HSS-Hollow Structural Section-Column".

Message 4 of 12
loboarch

I think this is a case where using Architectural columns and structural columns together will get the results you are looking for.  The wall finish will wrap around an architectural column when placed engagued in a wall.  You can use this behavior to establish the "wrap" around the structural column contain within the architectural column.  In the attached image the structural column on the left is placed by itself and the wall goes right through it.  In the column on the left an architectural column is placed in conjunction with the structural column and the column is wrapped.

Columns.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks. Seems like a work-around though.

I feel Revit should recognize that a metal stud/drywall construction cannot pass through a structural column. Oh well...

At this point I might just draw some masking regions. I not entirely comfortable drawing 2 overlapping columns. Anyone feel one solution is better than the other (overlapping structural/architectural columns VS masking region)?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 12
loboarch

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Seems like a work-around though.

I feel Revit should recognize that a metal stud/drywall construction cannot pass through a structural column. Oh well...

At this point I might just draw some masking regions. I not entirely comfortable drawing 2 overlapping columns. Anyone feel one solution is better than the other (overlapping structural/architectural columns VS masking region)?

Thanks!

It may seem like a work-around but it is part of the intended workflow.  Per the help file:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS1a9193826455f5ff-6d855556117facf922e-1c22.htm

There is even a tool on the context ribbon when placing structural columns to place them "at columns" this is in reference to placing a structural column at every instance of an architectural column.

Using masking regions you will solve the problem in this view only and the work will have to be done if you see this in another view.  If you use the 2 column method it will be right in all views where this appears.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

great, thanks! will do.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I SUGGEST EDITING THE HOLLOW STEEL COLUMN FAMILY AND MAKE A MASK REGION IN FLOOR PLAN AND LOAD INTO PROJECT 

Message 9 of 12
vanessaH6CHC
in reply to: loboarch

I am trying to do this but the link is broken. Is the architectural column supposed to be the same size as the struct. column? Or do i make the arch column the size of the wrap?
Message 10 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: vanessaH6CHC

@vanessaH6CHC wrote:
I am trying to do this but the link is broken. Is the architectural column supposed to be the same size as the struct. column? Or do i make the arch column the size of the wrap?

The architectural column should be the size of the wrap.  For flexibility, you can create an architectural column family with instance width and length parameters so that you can make it whatever size you need in the project without creating a bunch of types.  

Try this family.

Message 11 of 12
vanessaH6CHC
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks ToanDN! i'll try this family 🙂
Message 12 of 12
svakilzadeh

What about creating a mass void?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report