Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standards phases?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
seijord1
435 Views, 5 Replies

Standards phases?

Hello,

Our office template(s) currently have a separate phase that is dedicated to showing families and assemblies that are part of the firm's standards. This seems to be condoned by Autodesk since the OOTB template has a Standards phase that comes after New Construction. But I am wondering how many other firms do it like this, and what people think? For example, we have our wall types set up so that wall types are literally floor plan views of each wall type. I understand the logic - we want to be able to TAG these walls to show useful info parametrically, which you can't with legend components. But I also have been taught that too many views is bad, and most of my career I have seen wall types drawn as drafting views. I also do not like the idea of dedicating a whole level and phase in "model space" to standards - seems old fashioned, like AutoCAD before "paper space". New views tend to default to this standards phase, which confuses employees as well as consultants. Curious to hear people thoughts!

Labels (5)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: seijord1

Sounds like you are describing a Legend Phase.  It's a valid approach and one we use.  It's the way we do Curtain Wall Legends.  

Message 3 of 6
ToanDN

We have a dedicated phase for Legends, some standard schedules that need to show more information (placeholder) than what actually modeled, and some standard isolated 3D component details.

Message 4 of 6
RDAOU

@seijord1 

On a small project, maybe!!! but medium and large projects a definite NO. We stopped using that approach since maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Standards, Typical Drafting Views, and 3D legend components go better in a Linked model. 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 6
seijord1

Thanks for the responses all-

@RDAOU when you said medium and large projects a definite no, were you talking about using live views to show wall assemblies?

Message 6 of 6
RDAOU

@seijord1 Yes elements are in 3D space / Live views from a linked Model, on a specific Workset, which is dedicated to specific views created for such purposes and switched off in the templates of all other views.

In most medium/large projects they are also quantified as mockups and scheduled so it is not just to serve for creating wall built up legend

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report