Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair stringer (railing) height.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2527 Views, 7 Replies

Stair stringer (railing) height.

I have modeled a steel channel (C12x20.7), which is a railing, for my stairs in Revit 2019.  I want the top of the stringer to measure two inches above the nose of the stair tread, and measure four inches above the horizontal surface of the landing.  In Revit 2017, and earlier versions, I would simply adjust the railing sketch lines to achieve this result.  Does anyone know how to adjust the stringer (railing) in Revit 2019 to obtain these dimensions?  See screenshots below for reference.StairScreenshot-05.PNGStairScreenshot-04.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Any reason you are not using stringers? What you want can be set easily with stringers.

Annotation 2020-01-29 130403.jpg

With railing, edit path and change Height Correction of landing segments to Custom.

Annotation 2020-01-29 130322.jpg

Message 3 of 8
barthbradley

OffLand.png

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

See screenshots below.  The first screenshot shows the stair with a stringer.  How can I adjust the stringer to change the height above the tread nosing and above the landing?  The second screenshot shows the railing after I made the adjustments mentioned in the first reply.  The railing height changed to four inches, but the continuity is interrupted, and the dimension at the tread nosing changed from two inches to 1 25/32".

StairScreenshot-06.PNGStairScreenshot-07.PNG

Message 5 of 8
RDAOU

@00jengland00 

1. Tab select the stringer 
  2. Edit Properties
  3. Set the desired values under
    • Structural Depth on Run 
    • Structural Depth on Landing

stringer.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Fantastic.  Thanks for the help.  One last question on stringers.  Can the stringer extend past the last tread like I can get a railing to extend?  See screenshot below for example?  Both the stringer and the railing are in the screenshot.

StairScreenshot-08.PNG

Message 7 of 8
barthbradley

These are your options:

string.png

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

I played around with that feature, but I didn't get the desired outcome.  See screenshots below.  I'd like to have the stringer extend four inches past the bottom tread, and I'd like the stringer to fluidly wrap around the top landing.  I'm able to achieve this outcome when I use a railing.

StairScreenshot-09.PNGStairScreenshot-12.PNGStairScreenshot-10.PNGStairScreenshot-11.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report