Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

square footage

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
57638 Views, 7 Replies

square footage

Is there a way to calculate total square footage of one level in revit?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: Anonymous

PLace rooms into your model and then create a room schedule which includes the Area value and the level value.  Then set the schedule to filter by level.  Now the schedule will only include the area of those rooms on the filtered for level.  On the formatting tab of the schedule dialog you can set the level field to "hidden" if you don't want it reported in the schedule.  On the formatting tab you can also set the Area field to total the values for you.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 8
doug

An Area Plan will do what you are requesting.

In Revit Architecture 2011, go to the Home tab, then the Room and Area panel.  Select the Area Plan option under the Area command.  In the New Area Plan dialog box, select the desired level.  Also very important is to select the Gross Building option from the Type dropdown box.  Pick OK.  Answer Yes to the question about automatically creating boundary lines associated with the exterior walls.  A new Area Plan view will be created in the Project Browser under a newly created category named "Area Plans (Gross Building)".  By default, that new plan will have an area tag with the level's total square footage.

If you adjust the location of any of the exterior walls, the area tag on the Area Plan will update to the correct area.

You can also then create a schedule for the areas using the "Areas (Gross Building)" category when creating a new schedule.  That allows you to schedule the area of each level and get a total area for the building.

I hope that helps.

Douglas Bowers, AIA, LEED AP
Revit Architecture 2016 Certified Professional
Revit Structure 2016 Certified Professional
Revit MEP 2016 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2016 Certified Professional
www.dougbowersconsulting.com
blog: http://aectechtalk.wordpress.com

Please use Mark Solutions > Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Yes that helped very much! Thank you!

Message 5 of 8
DesignGuy12
in reply to: doug

Doug,

Follow-up question for you.... 

When we place interior walls, the Sq. ft. that wall occupies, is subtracted from the total.

Is there a setting or something I can do to give the overall Sq. ft. of a build without losing Sq ft of interior wall?

I

Message 6 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: DesignGuy12

@DesignGuy12 wrote:

Doug,

Follow-up question for you.... 

When we place interior walls, the Sq. ft. that wall occupies, is subtracted from the total.

Is there a setting or something I can do to give the overall Sq. ft. of a build without losing Sq ft of interior wall?

I

I am not @doug, but following his directions for creating a Gross Area Area Plan, I get the overall area of the building and if I then add interior Walls later, it does not reduce the reported area of the Area created.  Are you using Rooms, instead?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 8
DesignGuy12
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Interior office and all any room has been assigned and setup as a ROOM,

so the bldg Sq ft is reduced by wall displacement.

If my bldg is 400 x 1000, I should have 400,000 Sq ft, but is have 382,653.

Message 8 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: DesignGuy12

Set room/area computations to center of walls instead of face of walls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report