Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet project file - best practice for hiding objects in linked models

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1111 Views, 10 Replies

Sheet project file - best practice for hiding objects in linked models

We have a large project where we link multiple models into a "sheets" project which has no native 3d geometry only the sheets and schedules etc.  We are having problems with hiding individual objects.  For instance I have a floor that is used as a curb in the parking garage.  In one of the views I would like to hide this inidividual floor type, or even the instance of that type.  Is there a way to do that in an individual view for an object inside a linked file?

The project is in the final stages and I want to resist the urge to start using masking regions.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards Peter.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi try to go visibility graphics > link > change all to custom and untick all you wanted not see pls do remember this only per view. Thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ennujozlagam

How can you select individual objects, or even object types using this method?  I believe you can only select whole categories, which does not work as I only want to hide some instances of a floor type, or I could create a different floor type to hide.  Unfortunately I can only hide categories, correct? Thanks

Regards Peter.

PS - I guess I could put on a different workset but I would have a lot of extra worksets for individual items I need to have hidden in different views??

Message 4 of 11
L.Maas

Hover over an object in the linked file that you want to hide. A highlighted square representing the link should appear. Press tab. At this moment the object should highlight. Left Click on the object. Now the object in the linked file is selected. Right click to bring up menu and use "Hide in View" functions to hide the instance or category of the selected object in the linked file.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Because all the views are linked, you would need to go into the other project and modify the view there. Then sync and reload the model in the Sheets version.   Basically having to do what you did in Autocad (if you used it), as long as all the annotation and tagging are done in the primary model and not in the sheets model.

One of the primary reasons why Sheet models were dismissed early on in our Revit testing years ago.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

NICE!  Thanks - that is perfect!

Cheers Peter.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

The views are not linked.  The models are linked and the views recreated. 

How do you keep the referencing bidirectional if you do not have all of the views in one model?  We used to use dummy sheets before REVIT fixed the scheduling capabilites between linked models.

I would love to know of a way that we could not have the "Sheets" project file if there was a way of keeping all the referencing intact while being able to have geometry in the model where the model exists. 

Regards Peter.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Now I'm getting greedy here but...

Can I override graphics that way?  I'm trying to override the graphics of foundations in elevation that are below grade so that they show up with a dashed line style.  Is there a way of doing that?  Thanks a lot.

Regards Peter.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

We decided to keep all details and referencing into one project per building.  While some buildings may have the same details as another building we would just copy the views from one to another unless they were live.  While the Project Architects were not happy with this scenario, the contractors loved it.  Reason being they would see a detail on the sheet and think it was part of their current building and try to implement it, but it was for a totally different building. 

So all sheets and views were in one project.  The only time I utilize all models in one is for the sheet index and cover sheets.

Hope that makes sense.

Message 10 of 11
L.Maas

You probably noticed that when selecting "Override Graphics by View" when selecting elements in a linked file  only category is available.

However an alternative, somewhat laborous, route is to use the line work tool. 

Foundations.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks.  I have been using the linework tool.  It's a better solution than redrawing linework.  At least if the geometry moves it will update.  I think I will adjust the category override and then adjust with the lineowrk tool where necessary.  Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report