Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared coordinates and shared site elevation

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
girtan
817 Views, 7 Replies

Shared coordinates and shared site elevation

Hello everyone, 

I come with a question regarding setting up the shared coordinates, and more exactly the elevation. To take you through my steps, I am setting up a Revit file that is the site file and will be used as a reference for the shared coordinates. 

1. I import the CAD file with the correct geospatial coordinates. It is imported at a significant height compared to Level 1 and the origin elevation by default.

2. I acquired the coordinates from the CAD file. The survey point is moved very far from the original location.

3. I move the survey point unclipped to one of the points of our site of interest, according to the coordinates we have, so I get accuracy with the real-world coordinates. I clip the survey point at the end.

4. I set the project point to match the survey one for convenience. 

So until here so far so good. But now I want to set the level 0 at the desired height, which is to match the survey point and the project point height. If I move the level, it moves the whole linked CAD file it changes its position and asks me to save the new position back to the CAD file. Obviously, I don't want it as my intention is to coordinate everything according to the original CAD file position and its coordinates.

Therefore, can anyone tell me if there's a flaw in my workflow or how you usually approach this situation of elevation when you have to work with big plot sites and real-world coordinates?

Thank you!

@RDAOU 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: girtan

GIS Coordinates? Does the CAD have a Geolocation?  

If so, use the Specify Coordinates at Point method.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-0C6D8890-73D9-4DAC-A0A6-84C45E54C6A8

Message 3 of 8
girtan
in reply to: barthbradley

No, the cad file doesn't have the geolocation set, and is made according to the the national coordinates system from the country I am working in. Basically is a CAD file of the site that is downloaded from the authority website, so the coordinates are 100% correct

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

Just a point of clarification:  the coordinates you specify at point are the x,y coordinates of an ID'd point in the CAD File, such as the corner of a building.  Get it?  

Message 5 of 8
barthbradley

Why do you need to move the Levels in the RVT Project? Move the CAD to the proper level and Acquire Coordinates.  If you want the Level Elevation to be relative to the Survey Point, then set the Elevation Base to Survey Point in the Type Properties of the Level.  

Message 6 of 8
syman2000

If you want to have a fixed elevation, I would create a level called Sea Level. This is where you have your level set to 0 and you placed you link CAD this level. If you move Level 0, it will be unaffected by the change.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 7 of 8
barthbradley

Yes, I see a flaw.

2. I acquired the coordinates from the CAD file. The survey point is moved very far from the original location.

3. I move the survey point unclipped to one of the points of our site of interest, according to the coordinates we have, so I get accuracy with the real-world coordinates. I clip the survey point at the end.

2. move the CAD Link to where it belongs in relationship to your Project elements. If you have none, move the CAD Link as close to the Internal Origin as possible.  Don't forget to check the CAD Link's z elevation.  Move up/down in Elevation View as required.    

3. Acquire Coordinates.  

Message 8 of 8
girtan
in reply to: barthbradley

I did it like this, it worked exactly how I needed it. Thank you for the response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators