Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows on Realistic View elevation

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ejf51
768 Views, 10 Replies

Shadows on Realistic View elevation

I am trying to show sharp shadows on an elevational view using the realistic style to show texture. On all but 1 elevation this works (see image 1) but on my south elevation, no shadows are shown (image 2). They both use the same view template that includes everything.

I have tried to use a 3d view and section box as a workaround but I only get very soft shadows and not the sharp shadows I can achieve on most of the elevations. 

Any idea why only one elevation does not behave right? 

Labels (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark_Engwirda
in reply to: ejf51

It could possibly be your sun or shadow settings are different to your other elevations?
Create a template from the elevations that are shown correctly and apply it to the one that does'nt and see if that solves it?

Message 3 of 11
ejf51
in reply to: Mark_Engwirda

Hi Mark, that's what I really hoped it'd be. I have the view where it works as hoped, I created a template from that and then it doesn't work when I apply it to the south elevation. Must be something else!
Message 4 of 11
ToanDN

@ejf51 wrote:

I am trying to show sharp shadows on an elevational view using the realistic style to show texture. On all but 1 elevation this works (see image 1) but on my south elevation, no shadows are shown (image 2).t? 

Where is image 2?

Message 5 of 11
ejf51
in reply to: ToanDN

apologies, could have sworn they were attached, should be attached to this message

Message 6 of 11
Mark_Engwirda

Image 1 looks like an elevation, and image 2 looks like a 3d view?

All 4 elevations  should look exactly the same if you have the same template applied.

1. In your template settings, check that all of the "include'" tick-boxs are ticked in your template, otherwise these settings will not be applied to your elevations.
  2. Double check that your elevation template is applied to all 4 elevations correctly

Screenshot 2024-04-20 125458.jpg

Message 7 of 11
ejf51

Hi Mark, this is why I posted about it, I have indeed got a view template applied to all elevations, created from the view where the shadows are working, with all items included, and yet it doesn't behave right. looking for any other ideas as to why this might happen apart from view settings>
Message 8 of 11
Mark_Engwirda

Is it possible to send a stripped down version of the file so I can tale a look at it?

Message 9 of 11
ejf51

Hi Mark, I seem to have solved it. I have a linked sketchup model of surrounding context buildings, and when I turn it off in view settings, the shadows work as expected. I'm assuming my rather old laptop was having a hard time showing the sketchup and shadows or something, who knows. Just going to keep on without the context in my elevations or find a workaround.
Message 10 of 11
Mark_Engwirda

Glad you figured it out!
Message 11 of 11
KhaledAlSayyed

Sometimes this sort of issue happens due to certain glitches or issues within Revit itself.

For example I had an issue with shadows disappearing when I turn planting on, then I discovered this article talking about Toposurface, some surrounding elements or imports may affect how Revit reads and shows things.

FYI, check this article.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fuzzy-or-inaccurat....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report