Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting two materials to put on different faces of a modelled-in-place pyramid

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cct31d16
1194 Views, 6 Replies

Selecting two materials to put on different faces of a modelled-in-place pyramid

I modelled-in-place a pyramid as a generic object using a blend. Next I created a passageway through the tunnel using two void extrusions. I figured out how to apply a stone material to the whole pyramid by adding a material parameter. I want to apply a second material to the inside passageway faces formed by the void extrusions. I added a second material parameter to the properties, and I know how to tab to select the faces I want to "paint" the second material, but the Paint tool doesn't read the object when I try to use it, and when I pick the extrusions with "edit extrusions" there is no way to access materials. I'd appreciate any guidance on how to add a second material to certain selected faces.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: cct31d16

When you have an in-place component you have to go to edit mode to be able to paint the different faces

Paint.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
cct31d16
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you for replying. I have tried to edit in place. I only can access the edit in place icon when in a 2D view. I select the void extrusion to edit, select the paint tool and select material I want, click finish model. Nothing changes.  I'm clearly missing something! When in edit in place I've also tried to edit the profile of the extrusion, but it doesn't have the paint tool, just seems to be for changing the size.

Message 4 of 7
L.Maas

Ok, you can't paint the void itself. A void is 'nothing' so can not be painted. You have to edit and paint the pyramid. The faces that were generated because of the void cut outs should be painted.

Otherwise upload the relevant parts of your model and we can have a look.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 7
RDAOU

@cct31d16

It works as follows...see screencast. If it is still not working out ... then upload/attach the Revit file so one could guide you accordinagly

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 7
cct31d16
in reply to: L.Maas

that makes sense! I tried again in the family file and this time got the paint tool/selecting faces sequence down right. I want to model the faces more, but am happy to get the materials on. Thank you- it was my first time using the forum and you helped get me to keep at it.

Message 7 of 7
cct31d16
in reply to: RDAOU

thanks-I finally got the paint tool/selecting faces while editing in place sequence right. you can see jpeg from my other reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report