Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedules : Total Stud Count Formula

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2067 Views, 11 Replies

Schedules : Total Stud Count Formula

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me crack this one. I would like to have a  2 fields within my materials takeoff schedule to calculate the total amount of studs needed within my project. This is the formula I'd like to use. Total Studs = (Total Length / 1.333') + (5 or 4 * Amount of walls)

Length being : Linear Ft

1.333' being : 16" O.C. in Ft

5 or 4 being : 2 studs, one @ each end + 1 bottom plate + 1 single top plate or 2 for double top plate.

The fields would respectfully be Loadbearing and Non-Loadbearing then I would add those 2 totals to get my total stud count.

I am able to automatically get the numbers I need to do the calculation manually but I would love to automate the entire process.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 100059.png

This is currently where I'm at.

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

If you have all the values needed, would adding a "calculated parameter" field to the schedule be considered automation?

Or are you looking for some sort of solution like dynamo?

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU 

My first idea was to create a calculated parameter however, I couldn't find a way to add the type total within my formula and the total Linear Ft. I consider myself still a bit new to schedules so if that is an option please let me know.

As for dynamo, I have not explored it very much. If you believe that my solutions would most likely be there then I'd rather shift my attention to learning dynamo.

Message 4 of 12
RDAOU

When you are sorting by type and uncheck itemize every instance and you should be getting the totals

Not at my computer so cant try it out for you

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 12
Revit_Whisperer

You could do something like this (one for 4 and 1 for 5)Stud count schedule.jpg

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

@Revit_Whisperer 

That should work, Thank-you!

I'll work my way from there if need be.

Message 7 of 12
Revit_Whisperer

If you wanted to separate the Bearing from Non Bearing you could duplicate the schedules and modify as shown.  I always keep one schedule (working) with everything that doesn't go on a sheet.

Stud Schedules.jpg

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

@Revit_Whisperer 

Looks good! thanks for the added information, I should have tons to chew on now.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

This looks like it is close to what I am trying to do too. Correct me if I'm wrong: The length field is the length of the wall. Doesn't Revit know about the plates and other framing elements around windows and doors. One more question how can you get a total of these items?

Message 10 of 12
Revit_Whisperer

Yes, the length field is the length of the wall.  For a Revit wall you construct the layers of the wall, not the construction.  Layers being drywall, stud, sheathing etc.

You want a total of all of the walls and their studs...don't itemize by every instance and don't filter and that should give you everything.

Message 11 of 12

This may be a silly question.. Where do you add stud spacing?

Being able to use that in the calculation would be fantastic

Message 12 of 12
Revit_Whisperer

In the screen shot shown up a bit in this string, there is a parameter named spacing which I created to determine the stud spacing.  It is length parameter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators