Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving a Incorrectly Modelled Family

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
lee.imbimbo86EM4
200 Views, 2 Replies

Saving a Incorrectly Modelled Family

I have a family I produced under a flawed logic.  To simply my Entry Door model for a project I choose to model the Front Entry Surround in its own door family, that I could then just apply to the model and move on.  Incorrectly, I choose to model this thinking of the Ref Plane as the Work Plane that I would be inserting this family onto.  So in effect my model is laying on the ground on it's back.  I presumed that I could rename the reference planes to appropriately define TOP, BOTTOM, LEFT, RIGHT, FRONT, and BACK.  I did not realize that when it comes to things like freezing the header in a floor plan that Revit seems to always think of the REF PLANE as the ground (i.e. Bottom), rather than just being the plane it is inserted on.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma.  The software doesn't seem to allow me to do one of three things:  (1) erase the Ref Plane and place it appropriately in relationship to the family, (2) define UP, or (3) grab the entirety of the family (reference planes and all) and just rotate and move them to be appropriately oriented.

I'd hate to have to spend several hours reconstructing the family all over again and correctly, orienting it, but I don't currently see any other alternative.  I'm hoping that someone here has an easier solution for me.

If my only option is to redo the entire family, I really feel like this is one of those things that AutoDesk could work to resolve in the software so that we can more accurately define orientation within a family.

I've attached the family in hopes someone can assist me.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RDAOU
in reply to: lee.imbimbo86EM4

@lee.imbimbo86EM4 

1. Either remodel from scratch
  2. Or finish modeling it as is (Work plane based)
    • Then nest into a Door Family or another Generic Family and host it on Work Plane / named Reference Plane 
    • Then associate the parameters to the host family
    • See GIF below

Door_workplane based.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 3
lee.imbimbo86EM4
in reply to: RDAOU

Sadly, It appears I just have to remodel it.  Even directly placing it into the Door Family it still treated the Door Surround Family as it it's internal REF PLANE was the ground.  For example, if I said to hide the header when cut in plan view, it would actually hide the header when looking at the door in Front Elevation View.

Sigh, little things would really help not make Revit such a pain to use.  This for example, should just be a simple thing of in the Family I get to redefine which way is UP, and the REF PLANE should be more centered around how you see the item being used when modelled.

Thank you for the GIF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report