Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sandwich Panel_Facade

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
mairh_tsek
4118 Views, 15 Replies

Sandwich Panel_Facade

Hello all,

I want to create a facade having sandwich panel.

Do you have to propose me a workflow to do it?

Thank you in advance!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: mairh_tsek

Like SIPs? Basic Wall Type works.  

If you have a specific design in mind; post a picture to show us. 

Message 3 of 16
mairh_tsek
in reply to: barthbradley

The one thought is to create basic wall and create a surface pattern (like the image 1)

But I would like to know if there is another way in order to have more realistic result in the floor plan and in sections. (image 2).

Is the first solution a workflow that is used?

Thank you

Message 4 of 16
barthbradley

I'd use a Curtain Wall for this. 

Message 5 of 16
mairh_tsek

Hello @barthbradley,

In order to understand better, do you use curtain walls and in the curtain panel you assigned the panel that you want?

Thank you!

Message 6 of 16
barthbradley

@mairh_tsek wrote:

Hello @barthbradley,

In order to understand better, do you use curtain walls and in the curtain panel you assigned the panel that you want?

Thank you!

Yes. Create a Curtain Wall Panel Family and assign that panel to the "Curtain Panel" Parameter listed in the Type Properties of the Curtain Wall in the Project. Easy, breezy. 

Message 7 of 16
mairh_tsek

@barthbradley , 

Thank you for your time!

For the other layers of the wall that follow after the sandwitch panel (for example the isolation/concrete etc) do you create a basic wall?

So will I have a curtain wall and a basic wall?

Is there any way to assign the curtain wall in the basic wall structure?

Thank you in advance!

Message 8 of 16
barthbradley

@

@mairh_tsek wrote:

@barthbradley , 

Thank you for your time!

For the other layers of the wall that follow after the sandwitch panel (for example the isolation/concrete etc) do you create a basic wall?

So will I have a curtain wall and a basic wall?

Is there any way to assign the curtain wall in the basic wall structure?

Thank you in advance!

@mairh_tsek: You can do the SIP both ways: as a Curtain Wall Panel and as a Basic Wall Type that substitutes for the CW Panel. You're probably going to end up using both in order to meet various conditions, such as openings. Regarding your question: Is there any way to assign the curtain wall in the basic wall structure;  I don't understand what you're asking.  Are you asking about embedding the Wall Types? If so; yes you can.  

Message 9 of 16
mairh_tsek

@barthbradley

I did just a quick example.

I created a basic wall and in front of it I created a curtain wall. After I assigned in the system panel a sandwich panel (see images).

I was asking if is it possible to 'merge'  the two walls, so when I click in the basic wall to select also the curtain wall and to works like one.

Also how can I create a door/window in both walls?

Thank you!

Message 10 of 16
barthbradley

@mairh_tsek wrote:

I was asking if is it possible to 'merge'  the two walls, so when I click in the basic wall to select also the curtain wall and to works like one. 

Not really.  But, looking at your work, I'm thinking that you may not want to use Curtain Walls at all.  You can build all those layers into one Basic Wall Assembly and then use Wall Sweeps to define the "corrugation". 

Message 11 of 16
mairh_tsek

@barthbradley,

Well..I tried to create a sweep profile..but I would like to be vertical and not horizontal on the wall (see image). I turned around the family but I couldn't do it. Do you know any way to do this?

The curtain wall and the basic wall that I did before are 'acceptable' as solution?

Thank you!

Message 12 of 16
barthbradley

@mairh_tsek wrote:

@barthbradley,

Well..I tried to create a sweep profile..but I would like to be vertical and not horizontal on the wall (see image). I turned around the family but I couldn't do it. Do you know any way to do this?

The curtain wall and the basic wall that I did before are 'acceptable' as solution?

Thank you!

Place a Vertical Sweep  on the wall using the Wall Sweep Tool. On the Contextual Tab, pick Vertical. 

But, if you are comfortable with doing it as a CW over a Basic Wall, then go for it. It's a fine approach. But, if your CW uses Curtain Panels like your screenshot is showing, you'll need a Basic Wall Type to replace the CW Panels in some instances.  So, for instance, if you have a two-layer, 6-inch thick CW Panel, you want to have a two-layer, 6-inch thick Basic Wall type too.  

Message 13 of 16
mairh_tsek

@barthbradley,

@barthbradley wrote:

you'll need a Basic Wall Type to replace the CW Panels in some instances.  So, for instance, if you have a two-layer, 6-inch thick CW Panel, you want to have a two-layer, 6-inch thick Basic Wall type too. 

Like in which cases? I didn't understand..

In the previous post I created the sweep editing the structure of the wall (image 4). It was horizontal but it was 'merge' with the wall.

If I go wall:Sweep > vertical, the sweep it isn't 'one' with the wall. And I tried to make some doors and in some cases works in some other not (image 5)

Thank you a lot!

Message 14 of 16
barthbradley

I'm referring to the Wall Sweep tool in the Wall dropdown box on the Architecture Tab.

Regarding your other screenshot, that "corrugated panel" shown looks nothing like the very first image you posted which showed what you wanted to build. Now I'm confused.  Is that "corrugated panel" your Curtain Wall?  

Message 15 of 16
ToanDN

Two approaches:

1.  The corrugated panel as a curtain wall and the normal wall are two separate systems.  If gives you more flexibility in terms of modeling them for odd and ends conditions, around corners, columns, etc... the draw back is you have to manually change the curtain panels to empty to match the fenestration in the wall.

2. Model all in one curtain wall system.  You create a custom panel family consists of all the layers from exterior to the interior.  It may work out if your building design is modular.  To add doors and windows you simply add curtain grids to form the openings, then change the panels to curtain door types or curtain window types.

I personally would go with #1.

Message 16 of 16
mairh_tsek
in reply to: ToanDN

@barthbradley , 

I didn't explain it well.

I need two things to do:

1st Thing:

Create a corrugated panel (Image 1_Panel). The composition of wall tha I need in this case from exterior to interior is: Corrugates panel + Insulation + concrete.

Solution as I understood: 

1. Create a basic wall for the concrete and insulation layer & a CW assigned the corrugates panel (that I will create)

I am worrying here how to place metal doors and windows in both basic and curtain wal.

2. Create the basic wall for the concrete and insulation layer and from the Architectural tab add the sweep. Again I am worrying about the openings.

2nd thing:

Create a sandwich panel (Image 2_sandwich panel) and after the metallic structure will continue in the interior.

I will contact with the company to check if it can provide to me exactly the panel that we will use inb the construction.

Solution:

Create a CW and in the CW panel assigned the sandwich panel family.

Again in this case how I will be able to place spesific metal doors and windows?...

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report