Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof over bay

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
tpreisler
3123 Views, 18 Replies

roof over bay

how would you build this roof over bay? see attached.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: tpreisler

Sketch the boundary, that's all. Do the bay roof separately and then attach to main roof. 

Message 3 of 19
tpreisler
in reply to: barthbradley

I would like to see a screencast if possible. Thanks

Message 4 of 19
barthbradley

Post what you've got so far and I'll show you. Specifically I need to know plates heights, and roof pitch(es) and overhang(s).  

Nevermind. I can pull what I need from your picture.

Message 5 of 19
Sahay_R

1) Create rectangular part of the walls separately

2) Create angled walls for the bay separately

Capture.PNG

3) Create roof over each piece

4) move the bay with its roof as close as possible

Capture.PNG

5) Use Modify>>Join Roof

You will be prompted to select the edge of the roof to join - select the edge of the bay roof

You will  be prompted to select a face of the roof to join to - you will select the face of the main roof.

Capture.PNG

Final result - 

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 6 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thanks for picking up the ball here, @Sahay_R. Do you still need a screencast, @tpreisler

Message 7 of 19
Sahay_R

YW @barthbradley - screencasts take forever to process and upload....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 19
SteveKStafford

I can offer up one approach that is similar but using shaped editing for the bay roof instead. The main roof is sketched around the perimeter and the path excludes the portion where the bay roof will go. Then the bay roof is sketched. It takes a little effort to sort out where the ridge at the bay should go. You'll see some reference planes I used to plot out where the ridge intersections ought to be based on the slope of the larger roof. Once I worked that out I used Shape Editing to raise the points for the bay roof ridge/valleys up to the correct height.

The actual perimeter walls of your design will affect the outcome, so what I've done is an approximation based on what I see in your picture. I also did not use Pick Walls to sketch any roof lines because doing so affects how the roof references the host level. I wanted both roof elements reference the level the same way.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 9 of 19

If you accept a slight distance between the main part of the roof ( something around 3- 5 mm) and the bay corner, then it will be easy using on Roof by Footprint or two roofs Joined using Roof Join tool , as Rina suggested. 

If you want no distance, then:

A possible approach can be using two roofs joined ( not roof joined) together and then , use two voids to cut the excess material from the underside...as in my screencast attached...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
SteveKStafford

The bay in the image provided does not have three equal sides. The resulting roof ends up a bit misshapen. That's why I went with the shape editing approach.

Steve Stafford
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 11 of 19

@tpreisler: Bigger challenge than I thought. @SteveKStafford is absolutely right; your roof is impossible to build using the Roof Tool  Believe me, I tried every trick I knew. You need to shape it into submission from a floor using Modify Sub Elements Tools. I love to post a Screencast for you, but I'm either an idiot, or the darn thing is broke. Probably the former. Well, we can't all be as good as @constantin.stroescu. Anyways, here's the RFA showing the completed "Bay" Roof using a Floor. Note that there is another bay roof hidden in the project. That one was just used to cut an opening using the Dormer Tool. 

Cheers

...You could also build it from a mass. Just a few mores steps than doing it this way. But, there's pros and cons with both. 

Bay Roof Exhibit_1-15-2018.jpg

Message 12 of 19
SteveKStafford

I made mine with a roof.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 13 of 19

Ouch...completely forgot that you could shape edit a Roof. Well, "Live and Relearn"; that's what I always say. Smiley Wink 

Thanks for the spanking @SteveKStafford

Message 14 of 19

Well...., in a more general case, when the sides of the bay are unequal and the angles between the two neighbor sides and the edge ( from there common point to the peak) are unequal ..meaning unequal slopes too ...something like this:

Image 1.png

then,  a simple geometric construction will do the work - 

( at the beggining ,I thought , it could be done using a combination of Slopes with Slope Arrow tool, but it didn't work..)

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 15 of 19

Mind if I jump in and join the discussion? 

I tried the same darn thing last night, @constantin.stroescu, but I couldn't make it work. Now it works!!!  Go figure. Thanks for coming back with this the "goods" and proving my assumptions wrong. I love it! Good job! Thank you. 

edit...knowing both approaches; which would you choose? I'm kind of favoring the shape surface method myself.  Easier cleanup, IMO. 

Message 16 of 19
barthbradley

Yep, works like a charm. Abracadabra, no shape editing: 

Bay Roof Exhibit_CONSTANTIN-2.jpg

Message 17 of 19
SteveKStafford

Okay, feeling guilty I didn't provide a screencast for the approach I chose.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 18 of 19
barthbradley

@tpreisler: If you ever want to do a shag carpeted roof (avocado green, of course); use my approach. As you can see from my Revit file, it’s essentially identical to what @SteveKStafford showed you, except using a Floor. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thanks, Sahay.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report