Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit vs. ArchiCad

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
lebonarchitects
26184 Views, 29 Replies

Revit vs. ArchiCad

I have been using Archicad for years and strongly considering switching to Revit. In my research, they appear to be pretty similar. Does anyone know how similar they are and how much training would be required to get up to speed on revit? 

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: lebonarchitects

Hi @lebonarchitects

It really depends what you will be using it for, both can do the same thing if you really want them too.

Revit is an extremely powerful Scheduling tool. It links brilliantly between familes, parameters and schedules, the possibillites are really unlimited in this area. Also, being a much more mainstream product, it fits alot nicer into the implementation of the BIM cycle etc. and the support from Autodesk is always going to be great.

ArchiCad is easy to work with like sketch up, and the graphics are great. I can't comment too much on the 'annotation and 2D side of archiCad but i can with Revit, and its brilliant for annotating, especially in the architectural field.

As far as Collaboration goes, Revit is a no brainer, it can be used with a big host of programs with no issues. However exporting in ArchiCad has to be an IFC File to be able to be opened in anything else, the annoying part of this is you loose alot of information and model elements when you export which can be a bit of a pain. It is purely a design and visual program, and its good at that. Revit can be used for that, it can really be set up for anything depending on the user/company of course.

At the end of the day everyone has there opinions, and they are both faster/slower than each other in separate areas. Its like the PC vs. Mac debate. They both do things differently but they both get the job done. I'd suggest getting a trail version and having a play, and watch advance tutorials to see the power and possibilites!

Thanks, hope it some what helps. Let me know if you have any other questions Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 30
lebonarchitects
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Alex that helps. How long do you think it would take to learn Revit? Are they similar enough to be able to pick it up pretty quickly?

I am an average user of Archicad but find my way around most programs pretty quickly. 

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous

Thanks for the Kudo!

If you are using a program like ArchiCAD, I think you'll pick up Revit quite quick. As a learning curve goes, you learn lots very quickly and then tappers off and you never stop learning which is the best bit!

The difficult thing to get around for beginners is that it takes a bit to set up, for things to look right. For example, the client see's a beautiful 3D or drawings for instance, however to get them to look good takes effort, such as the construction of walls, floors, patterns etc.

But that's were its brilliant, because all projects run off a template, so get the template right and all the drawings and views look the same across all projects!

As far as 3D modelling goes, its super easy, you'll pick it up very quick. Long story short, elements are hosted to levels, so make sure you have your levels set up, and then you are good to go from there! There is always better ways to do things, but that knowledge comes the more you use it.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous

Once you get past the categories vs layers for each view or even having to assign layers to elements...the transition is pretty easy.  Oh, and creating elements/families is a lot easier.

I was an AC user for 5 or so years before I switched to Revit.  Was an Autocad user for many years before ArchiCAD, and figured stuff out quickly thanks to the book "ArchiCAD for Autocad users" and was working on production work after only a week of training in ArchiCAD.  Was working Revit in even less time.

Things to get used to... You will find some processes work better in ArchiCAD, and you will find a lot more processes work better in Revit.  When you find the sweet spot between the two, you can gauge which platform works best for the project.  

Oh....but if you are one of those ArchiCAD users that explode views from the model to manipulate the outcome....you will dislike Revit.

Message 6 of 30
lebonarchitects

Thank you! Very helpful!

Message 7 of 30
GFaustin

keep using both.

Message 8 of 30
comissos

Long time ArchiCAD user.  Wanted to move beyond Autocad + sketchup/architcad for the whole office so we bought several seats of Revit LT and more than 40 hours of training later, I really don't like it.  Especially for design - it is very frustrating.  Even the younger staff who are pretty good at Sketchup feel that it is not speeding up workflow.  Of course, if someone only knows Revit then it is the best thing since sliced bread but for someone like me who's used Archicad, Vectorworks and sketchup, you immediately see the downside.  I know that some of you are going to bring up the limitations of LT chief amoung them is lack of edit in place families, however, even if I had that I find that the whole setup is too restrictive at the moment.

On a strictly pragmatic note, you will absolutely need training for Revit - Archicad is a lot more intuitive and forgiving.

I wish there was a better option out there for architects but we are stuck with Autodesk or Nemetchek for the forseable future.

Message 9 of 30
GFaustin
in reply to: comissos

You're so right Revit is just not built for design it's good for engineering but in comparison with vectorworks and archicad it's antiquated.
Message 10 of 30

Trying to clear for myself the same dilemma, I read all replies and decided I have to give a try to Revit.

Than I found this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Nc0ka3fIk.

Anyway Revit has way more users than Archicad and is requested by most jobs offers on the market; so switching to Revit is also a matter of speaking the same language with others.

Message 11 of 30
bimscape
in reply to: mariustomi

Yep- technical comparisons aside, I think you ignore the "Employability Factor" at your own risk!

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 12 of 30
mariustomi
in reply to: bimscape

Employability is not in the video, but in the third and fourth line of my intervention. Don't understand why it could be a risk for me.

I read many competent opinions on different sites focused on software performances, and I consider the debate will have to be driven on performances not on market shares, employability 'cause these parameters are relative. For sbd who is looking for a new position, most job offers are for Revit. My personal 'dig' on that matter started for that reason to. 

Kind regards,

Tomi

P.S. Love your beginners guide on Revit. very well structured and helpful. 

Message 13 of 30
comissos
in reply to: mariustomi

Just got back from the International Home Builders Show.  No Autodesk presence.  Instead you had Archicad, Auto Architect, Sketchup, Lumion, Softplan, 20-20.  So there are other hiring markets out there that do not have a Revit bias.

Message 14 of 30
jchoi2JUFA
in reply to: bimscape

Yup that is sad reality.  

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

@comissos wrote:

Just got back from the International Home Builders Show.  No Autodesk presence.  Instead you had Archicad, Auto Architect, Sketchup, Lumion, Softplan, 20-20.  So there are other hiring markets out there that do not have a Revit bias.

That's usually not how Autodesk works their marketing.  Autodesk University is an exception, but they prefer to go to a prospective customer's workplace instead of seeking out customers.  I have seen resellers at events, but with the new licensing strategy resellers are basically only supporting their current customers.

ArchiCAD vendors on the other hand, they will seek out business as that is what keeps them in business.  We used to have about 6 or so different vendors for AC here in the Pac NW.  We are down to just one for the entire West coast, and I have known the guy since I started using Archicad almost 20 years ago.

Message 16 of 30
adambeazley

So I just have to add my 2 cents in to this discussion. I was a long time AutoCAD + sketchup user for many many years, then we as an office switched to ArchiCAD (started on version 14 and now we are on version 21) and I do absolutely love ArchiCAD. I am the BIM manager for my office and I have built the templates, favorites and done all of the really technical stuff to setup a template so that new users can simply model and already have Construction Sets setup for them.  So, from a modeling perspective i sooo much prefer Archicad over sketchup, and the plus side is that you have a full 3d walk-through that you can show your clients and you have a good construction set to bid off of.

Now, here is the BAD side of archiCAD.... it does NOT play well with Revit. Contrary to what their website says, the import and export to and from archiCAD to Revit, Revit Structural and Revit MEP is terrible. You may be able to import and IFC from Revit, but it comes in as bulk object that you cannot do anything with until you redraw them as native tools from within ArchiCAD, also you will loose any "sheets" that were setup in Revit during the conversion. For instance we had a partnership with another Design firm and they did the SD and DD portion of the project and we were going to do the CDs. we though we could just import their fully developed Revit DD model (with sheets and details) into Archicad... but no sheets and nothing but bid bulky objects than cannot be edited... we had to finish the project in AutoCAD or rebuild the entire model in Arhicad.

I truly hate to say this because I really do love AchiCAD, but if you plan on doing any type of work where you will have consultants sharing BIM models and working with other firms BIM models you should choose Revit. In hind sight (its 20/20) I would choose Revit (even though I'm new at it and I dislike it) simply because if you live in the United States and use US based Consultants, most likely your consultants will be using an Autodesk product and they work well together. So my final recommendation is Revit  and ONLY because they have the lions share of the market here in the US. In terms of which product is better, easier to learn and use and design in... ArchiCAD all day!

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

Archicad has a stronger presence in the rest of the world. Historically, it's been the first BIM program. It's also more price competitive. The Autodesk disgrace of the exorbitant annual fees pushed me and many tiny firms into switching to Archicad (permanent, reasonably priced license). I barely tried Revit so can't tell, but Archicad looks very powerful. Steep learning curve for me though coming from Autocad - no grips, no ucs, no command line, no layer-assigned colors, etc.).  

Message 18 of 30

Maybe already a little late to the party, anyways.

I've been using Archicad for the last 5 years or so. Its a powerful software. Before Archicad i was using Autocad and the difference is night and day, but....

I'm been doing for the last year a lot of BIM, with Archicad, i mean as much BIM as you can get, everything linked and fully automated and plain and simple i reached the BIM limit in Archicad. i can't go further and this is where REVIT cames. What i can't do with Archicad with REVIT is possible.

Aside, as other user said, Archicad has some really good features that you can't find in Revit, but a lot more interesting features are in Revit that you can't find in Archicad.

TLDR: If you are planning to go full BIM (3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, 7D) you have to go with Revit since Archicad can't achieve all of those levels. If you are not, i still find revit more interesting (bigger community, add-ins, more powerful tool in general) but wherever you feel more comfortable should do it.

Message 19 of 30
GFaustin
in reply to: larrel_jan

First of all archicad is more dynamic than rivet will ever be I can't imagine me design in a hotel using Revit having multiple windows and doors schedules to put in manually. The fact that archicad is more Dynamic than Revit will ever be and I've been using a rivet for several years now and I switch to archicad for my architectural work for the past 2 years I still use rivet for my structural and MEP rivet is good for that you can't take that away from them however as far as architecture goes it is more rigid than anything I've ever seen. Architecture fluid dynamic diverse and all Revit does for my architectural experience is to be rigid "the rigid Revit".
Message 20 of 30
ToanDN
in reply to: GFaustin

Rigid how?

It is more credible if you can back your opinions with facts, and at the very least, type the name of the product correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report