Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Template Families from Older Versions

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
drewHattonSDG
170 Views, 2 Replies

Revit Template Families from Older Versions

I've run an analysis on my company's template file to report to get the editable families' file path, which in turn tells me what version of Revit the file was created in.  I've found that the vast majority of the files are from 2016.  So, I ran another script to update the files to the current family files (2020 version in this case).  However, the file size grows by about 45% vs. the un-upgraded file version after updating about 300 family files.  I realize that the family files are slightly larger after they're upgraded to the current version, which is causing the overall template file size to grow.  My question is, is there a risk of the family files referencing the 2016 database, vs. upgrading them to the current file database?  FYI, as families are updated, we load them into the template from the new file location, so the "latest" version is always in the template file.  We just have a lot of families that apparently have not been modified over the years.  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hey Drew, 

Try this to one family first, but I find when creating my templates and files, that with every save the file size will grow a little.

Unnamed reference planes, Default / Analysis Materials not purged, and other small things like this will also cause file size issues.

My suggestion is to check your model to ensure that it is cleaned and nothing that shouldn't be there is in there, and when you go to save do the following:

1. Save As (this is important, do not just ctrl-s)

2. Under Options, select Compact File

kristinayoungblut_0-1657210759146.png

3. RENAME the file, even if you add -new to the end of it.

I don't know why, but renaming the file ALWAYS reduces the file size. You can either archive the old models or delete them; whatever your company policy is, and manually or with a tool like Advanced Renamer rename the file within the folder.

I did find that between those versions of Revit, there is a slight file size increase, but there have been some major stability issues resolved in that same time, that those "larger" files do not negatively affect a project like they once did. 

let me know how it goes!

Kristina Youngblut
Product Owner - BIMWorkshop
BIM Coordinator - CIMA+
25+ years Autodesk User
LinkedIn

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: drewHattonSDG

@drewHattonSDG wrote:

I've run an analysis on my company's template file to report to get the editable families' file path, which in turn tells me what version of Revit the file was created in.  I've found that the vast majority of the files are from 2016.  So, I ran another script to update the files to the current family files (2020 version in this case).  However, the file size grows by about 45% vs. the un-upgraded file version after updating about 300 family files.  I realize that the family files are slightly larger after they're upgraded to the current version, which is causing the overall template file size to grow.  My question is, is there a risk of the family files referencing the 2016 database, vs. upgrading them to the current file database?  FYI, as families are updated, we load them into the template from the new file location, so the "latest" version is always in the template file.  We just have a lot of families that apparently have not been modified over the years.  

No.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report