Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit RFA - Extrusion modelling

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Luke.Kemel
458 Views, 7 Replies

Revit RFA - Extrusion modelling

All,

is it possible to detail an extrusion that is on 4 different ref planes?  - See attached Zip file.

The rectangular lines sketched within the pdf show an indicative panel layout. in order to achieve my goal, i need to get this drawing from model lines to extrusions. due to the complex geometry and various planes i cannot work out how to model my extrusion into the rfa.

I have a curved soffit design that starts at a vertical plane (90degrees) and slopes around a corner before becoming a horizontal plane (90degrees). The facade panels are twisted round the corner and i need to be able to present this curvature/twisting to the customer with appropriate panel sizes and structure. 

(Unfortunately i am unable to post the .rfa file here due to client confidentiality/data protection.)

i am not really after a solution on how to detail the soffit, just a bit of insight on how detailing an extrusion on different planes is achieved. if this cant be done, does anyone have any bright ideas on how i can achieve this? 

i have thought about using a sweep, but again an cant seem to get this to work. 

any suggestions/solutions will be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Luke.Kemel

Instead of posting a .zip file to download, maybe you could  use the Photos icon and post images as .jpg files. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
Luke.Kemel
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I have attached them within a .zip file because they are PDF files. the photo icon does not support PDF files, only JPG files. 

the quantity is also too high, as the max number is 3 attachments 

Message 4 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Instead of posting a .zip file to download, maybe you could  use the Photos icon and post images as .jpg files. 

Here are the pictures as posted by the OP for what they are worth.

CornerCornerFront and BackFront and BackPlanPlanRightRightVert CornerVert Corner

From the images I really do not understand what the question actually is. I am going to suggest conceptual modeling tools I think. They could make a sweeping kind of surface that goes out of plane and then is panelized, which is as best as i can tell from the images is what you want.  Beyond that the images are so out of context it is difficult to understand what exactly the question even is.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 8
Luke.Kemel
in reply to: loboarch

I understand the images are not very useful (that was never the intention), but i also don't expect you to fully understand the sweeping motion of this scheme based on 2D images. As mentioned, i am unable to post the .rfa file here due to date protection. 

If you can refer to my my first post, i am not after a solution to the attached images. They were sincerely for a very base understanding that the panels i am working with are sweeping and and have a twist through the center that is only visible in a 3D view. 

Due to the panel geometry, when i begin to create an extrusion i can only select one corner because the other three corners are not associated with the work plane i have set. Therefore, i will revert back to my initial question... Is it possible to detail a rectangular extrusion where all points do not cross the reference plane that is set? 

Is there a way to create a rectangular reference plane so i can outline the panel and detail the extrusion this way, or am i restricted to the reference line tool?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

Model the form as a Generic Model adaptive or a Mass, divide surface using reference planes, then create another Generic model adaptive for the panel, load it in the host surface, place on the surface nodes and use Repeat to populate it. You may need a few types of panel family (3 points, 4 points, 5 points) to cover the odd shaped panels.
Message 8 of 8
Luke.Kemel
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you. this is greatly appreciated. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report