Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit "Failed to open document"

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
41151 Views, 25 Replies

Revit "Failed to open document"

Hello,

I'm trying to open a revit-file, that was probably made with Revit 2011, in Revit 2016.

When I do, Revit says "Failed to open document".

I already tried things like "Audit" and "Detach from central". Didn't work..

Is there any solution for this problem?

Regards,

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

You could try to open the document in older versions of Revit.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi EnlInt,

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried to open it in Revit 2014 (oldest version we've got). It was no success either.

Regards,

Message 4 of 26
Yien_Chao

Try to delete all backup folder of your central and also of your local. Then try to re-open the central.
Message 5 of 26
Matt__W

@Anonymous can you post the model to your A360 Drive account or Dropbox or some other type of cloud file sharing service?

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Matt__W

Hello @Matt__W,

http://a360.co/2pWKNnz

See link above.

I hope you're able to download the content right now. I'm not that familiar with A360 drive to be honest.

Please let me know if you can't download the file. (and what i should do to make it possible to download it)

Regards,

Message 7 of 26
Matt__W

@Anonymous The file is corrupted. Can you ZIP it up and post it to A360 and share the new link?

Capture.PNG

Matt Wunch

Twitter | LinkedIn

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

http://a360.co/2qVrRTM

see link above. Zipped by using 7zip.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous

@Matt__W

see reply above. forgot to mention your name 

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

Have you tried to imported as a link revit and it didnt open , or have you tried to open the last backup you have ?

Message 11 of 26
Matt__W

@Anonymous did you toggle on the "Allow viewers to download to their computer" option? Because I can't seem to download the file.

Matt Wunch

Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

@Matt__W

http://a360.co/2qVrRTM

You should be able to download it right now 🙂 toggled the download option

@Anonymous

I tried both, both didn't work

Message 13 of 26
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Issue :Revit error "Failed to open document" while loading file
Cause :File is corrupted.There is usually no model preview in Open dialog window.
The most probable reason of this issue is lack of disk space on local drive and \ or on network drive. Also sometimes large number of temporary files in windows %temp% folder may be the cause - please clean this folder. In case files located on network drive - temporary \ incidental lack of network connection may do this.

Solution 1: Check free disk space

At least 5 GB of free space is recommended. Without sufficient free space, Revit cannot expand the project into the Temp directory.

To locate the Temp directory

• Press Windows key+E.
  • In the navigation bar, enter %TEMP%.

If needed, delete files in the Temp directory to create free space.

Solution 2: Manually recover a backup copy of the file

• If the corrupt file is workshared, manually recover the file.
  • If the corrupt file is not workshared, use the following instructions to manually recover the file.

When you save a project, Revit makes a backup copy of the previous version of the project (that is, the project file before the current save). This backup copy has the name <project_name>.<nnnn>.rvt, where <nnnn> is a 4-digit number indicating how many times the file has been saved. The backup file resides in the same folder as the project file.

For example, the backup file for a project named Project1.rvt is Project1.0001.rvt. The backup file with the highest number is the most recent backup file.

To recover a file, use Revit to open the most recent backup file, and then save it. When you save the file, a dialog asks if you want to name the file without the 4-digit sequence. Click Yes. Another dialog asks if you want to overwrite the existing project file, if it still exists. Respond appropriately.

Note: If the most recent backup file is also corrupt, try opening earlier backup files.

For instructions on changing the number of backup files, see File Save Options.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

HI @Viveka_CD

Thank you for your response.

I already tried to restore the backup files. Unfortunately the backup files are also corrupt..

Regards,

Message 15 of 26
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

sorry to hear that the backup file is also corrupt.

I tried opening your file and I get the same error: failed to open document after audit/purge or detach from central.

Can you share your journal file?

Revit Journal files

Please collect and attach journal files from the affected computer(s) using the following procedure. This process will ensure that only the relevant information is recorded in the journal.

1. Close Revit completely (so that a new session can be started).
  2. Reopen Revit.
  3. Reproduce the issue.
  4. Without closing Revit, collect the latest (highest-numbered) journal file.

Journal files can be found here: 

Windows 7, Windows 8: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\<Product name and release>\Journals

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous

@Viveka_CD

see file attached.

Message 17 of 26
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for sending us the journal file.After reviewing your journal files (which show the build number), you have to automate the deployment of updates.

From parsing your journal file it seems like you do not have the latest service pack update.

You have Service Pack 2 with a Revit build version 16.0.490.0 and build number 20150714_1515

It is recommended that you run the Update 7 for R2 (Release 2) which is the latest for 2016

To update your product:

Update from Autodesk Account

1. Go to the Product Updates tray in Autodesk Account to find updates, improvements, or patches that have been released for your product.
  2. Select and install the updates you want.

Update from the Autodesk desktop app

1. Review product updates automatically made available to you in the Autodesk desktop app.
  2. Select and install the updates you want.

Get more information about the Autodesk desktop app, including a link to install it.

Let me know if you are able to audit and open the file once you run this update.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

@Anonymous

I think you are out of luck...  I tried 2016, 2017 and 2018 with no dice.

Updating your Revit version as @Viveka_CD suggested is just going to bring you up to the current level, but will do nothing to open that file. I tried the insert trick, the file rename trick, file rename and relocate trick...nada.

Message 19 of 26
Viveka_CD

Thanks @Anonymous for going through several steps to try to recover the file for the OP.

Yes, it is likely that in this case, the file itself cannot be recovered.

Hi @Anonymous

It is however, a best practice to keep your application up-to-date and you will likely have less file corruption, maintenance issue, and anomalies in your workflow.

Message 20 of 26
Matt__W

@Anonymous please refer to this AKN article for information about what causes model corruption and ways to reduce the chance of it happening.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-What-causes-data-corruption.html

Matt Wunch

Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report