Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2024 intallation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rajendra.deshpandehyd
2952 Views, 5 Replies

Revit 2024 intallation

I have recently installed Revit 2024. I noticed that huge dump is created in my C-drive

• While installing Revit, a huge dump is created in my C-drive to the tune of 17 Gb. I do not know what is the purpose of those files. Are these files useful for Revit? Any explanation for this?
  • Revit takes about 13 Gb hard disk Space and other updates takes about 0.87 + 1.5 + 3.21 = 5.58 Gb. That means that Revit requires 18.58 Gb. Assuming that it is very important data which is dumped in C-drive, that makes the total of 18.58 + 17 = 35.58 Gb. Is it not more for the most sophisticated 3D modelling software?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rajendra.deshpandehyd

why did you create another post on this?

Message 3 of 6

It's the install files for Revit.

Autodesk likes to make you store the complete install folder for every program, forever, so that you can install one update per version that requires the original files rather than include the files the update needs in the update.  That way, you get to waste double your storage space on every single computer for some reason.

If you delete C:\Autodesk folder all your programs will work fine, they don't use it at all.  It will just break your ability to update until you reinstall the program again, update, then delete that folder again.

I've tried storing these files centrally so they just need to be on the server, and it only works for about ~30% of our systems, and errors out on updates otherwise.  I don't know why it works for some and not others, and why Autodesk can't or won't just package necessary install files with the patch, or download them as needed, instead...

Message 4 of 6

While this may be wasteful, we live in a time when a very fast 2TB NVME SSD cost $150. Assuming 20GB are wasted, that is $ 1.5. Hardly the thing that makes a Revit subscription unobtainable. $1K annual subscription is fine, but $1.50 breaks the camel's back   🙂 

Revit version: R2025.3
Message 5 of 6
AMillarSOA
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

It's the time spent managing it that is the most wasteful.

It's not the cost of the SSD that makes the upgrade painful, otherwise I'd just order them in bulk and slap them in the few dozen workstations on 500gb drives.  It's IT and staff time cloning the drive, and troubleshooting on the occasions when cloning fails.

Message 6 of 6

I don't understand why you are tracking disk usage this closely. 20GBs could be the size of one project. You need a minimum of 100GB of free space to work on a small-medium size project, and 200GB for a large one. If your C:\ drive is that small, get a bigger one. Storage is not expensive, and 2024 even allows you to store cloud cache on another drive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report