Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2023 Comprehensive Revit.ini Settings Documentation?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jfhalaby
2428 Views, 19 Replies

Revit 2023 Comprehensive Revit.ini Settings Documentation?

Hello,

There seem to be many new settings available in the 2023 revit.ini file which are not documented here:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-9ECD669E-81D3-43E5-9970-9FA1C38E8507

For example, "ActivateControlsAndDimensionsOnMultiSelect" and "ShowMaterialEditor"

Where can I find a comprehensive list of Revit.ini settings for 2023?

Thanks!

Jason

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
barthbradley
in reply to: jfhalaby

Message 3 of 20
loboarch

INI settings are notoriously difficult to keep track of sometimes they slip through the cracks. If there are settings that are missing let me know and I can see about getting them added.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 20
jfhalaby

@barthbradley Yes, thanks for the link.

@loboarch Thanks for your reply, below is a list of some settings for which I have found documentation is either missing or sparse in the online Revit help. I have submitted feedback in the online help site for some of these:

[Directories]

MaterialLibraryFiles=<path>

Documentation sparse. What does Revit actually look for at this path?

[DNSM]

Nested Links - Invisible=8

Not documented. I figured out this will prevent the dialog about nested links. But it makes me wonder how many other dialogs I could suppress. It would be nice to have a full list.

[Graphics]

ShowMaterialEditor=1

Not documented. I figured out this will either show (1) or hide (0) the Material Assets side panel in the Materials dialog.

FreezeScheduleHeader=1

Not documented. I thought maybe this would freeze schedule headers by default, which would be nice. But that doesn't seem to be the case in my quick testing.

[Misc]
SSOServer=0

Not documented. What does this do?

[Modify]
Family_PlaceOrRehostMode=3095

Not Documented. I figured out this is the new 2023 feature that remembers the user's last hosting mode when placing a component family. Value 3095 corresponds to "Place on Work Plane" and 3094 corresponds to "Place on Face".

[Selection]
ActivateControlsAndDimensionsOnMultiSelect=0

Not documented. I figured out this is the new 2023 feature where you can show/hide the controls icons.

[SlabShapeUI]
ElevationBaseType=1

Not documented. I figured out this is the new 2023 feature allowing you to use a different reference elevation when editing sub-elements of a floor/roof.

[Install]
InstallGUID={guid}

This one is documented, but I still find a few things unclear when creating an INI file for use in a deployment.

If I am prepping an INI file to be uploaded into the cloud deployment generator, should I remove this setting or keep the guid that was there from my single-user test installation?

Will the cloud deployment generator update the guid value to match the deployment's guid?

Thanks,

Jason

Message 5 of 20
nathan.terranova

I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive list of settings available in the [DNSM] and [Messages] sections.

I'm aware of the help documentation found here:

Help | Do Not Show Me (DNSM) Settings in Revit.ini | Autodesk

and here:

Help | Messages Settings in Revit.ini | Autodesk

Message 6 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: nathan.terranova
Message 7 of 20
jfhalaby

@ToanDN  Thanks for the link, but the Autodesk help documentation is missing a lot of ini settings, specifically new ones in Revit 2023. The main purpose of the thread is to request a Comprehensive List of settings, since the documentation website is missing so many (examples in my post above).

Message 8 of 20
ToanDN

@jfhalaby wrote:

@ToanDN  Thanks for the link, but the Autodesk help documentation is missing a lot of ini settings, specifically new ones in Revit 2023. The main purpose of the thread is to request a Comprehensive List of settings, since the documentation website is missing so many (examples in my post above).

I understand the documentation is based on Revit 2021 and Revit 2023 has more commands, but the Integer values and what they do for the syntax shouldn't be different.  See the excel file.

Message 9 of 20
nathan.terranova
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN I think the main thing I would want to see more about is the [DNSM] "TaskDialog_SPECIFIC_DIALOG_NAME" where we can see a full list of the "SPECIFIC_DIALOG_NAMES." I don't believe all of these are list in the help documentation or the API documentation.

I believe the [Messages] section is similar. I've come across the items shown below via journal files. I've also attached an Excel file that has a large list of other settings I found.

Rvt.Attr.Messages.AdlmCheckoutBefore: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.DBarDockToTop: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressCellTextInPanelScheduleCanBeLostMessage: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressConfirmLevelRename: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressConfirmPlanViewRename: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressForceRasterPrintingWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressHardwareProblemsWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressLoadBeamTagFamilyInstructions: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressNewSpotElevationTypeInstructions: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressNonWysiwygWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressNoRenderingWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressRotateSharedWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressShowButtonMessage: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressShowMassWarning: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressTextInPanelScheduleCanBeLostMessage: 0 

Rvt.Attr.Messages.SuppressWarningSound: 0 

Message 10 of 20
nathan.terranova

Edit: these can be found here Help | Modify Settings in Revit.ini | Autodesk

I also found these to be interesting:

Rvt.Attr.Modify.Align_Multiple: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Align_WallsPreference: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Array_Constrain: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Array_GroupAndAssociate: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Array_Linear: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Array_MoveTo2nd: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Mirror_Copy: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.MoveCopy_Constrain: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.MoveCopy_Disjoin: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.MoveCopy_Multiple: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Offset_Copy: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Offset_GraphicsMode: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Offset_Offset_Imperial: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Offset_Offset_Metric: 3.28083989501312 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Rotate_Copy: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Rotate_Disjoin: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Scale_GraphicsMode: 1 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Scale_Scale: 2 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Split_DeleteInnerSeg: 0 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Split_JointGap_Imperial: 0.0833333333333333 
Rvt.Attr.Modify.Split_JointGap_Metric: 0.0820209973753281 
Message 11 of 20
nathan.terranova

@loboarch Does the journal file contain a comprehensive list of session attributes?

Message 12 of 20
loboarch

No it does not. This is why it is really hard to document every setting. The settings will appear in the journal file or the INI only AFTER you do something to set the flag. There is not like a NULL state for these things, so if the dev team does not tell us the INI setting will happen, we just don't know to document it. For better or worse, it is one of the last things on folks minds as the feature is developed so it gets overlooked.

Just last week however there was some talk of figuring out a way to programmatically pull all of this directly out of the source code so we could have a definitive list. This has been talked about in the past, but maybe has more legs this time. it was tied to another effort that has some other value, so it might happen this time. 

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 13 of 20
nathan.terranova
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch that is really what I've been looking for over the past couple of years. Every time the discussion comes to deployments and configurations, we really want a full list to go through. After digging and digging I kinda got the sense that documentation just didn't exist.

Looks like I'm not alone haha. Is there a wishlist item for this we could upvote if that helps?

Message 14 of 20
nathan.terranova

@loboarch A hot topic right now is this setting:

[Misc]

SSOServer=0

What does this do? Will it affect single sign on or is it just an old setting?

Message 15 of 20
loboarch

@nathan.terranova it has been a wishlist for me to have a comprehensive and reliable way to document this as well. As I mentioned it has been thrown around as an idea a few times now but has not happened for one reason or another. This new effort maybe has a better chance of actually happening because it can easily be tied to something else that we are looking to do for another reason. Fingers crossed this time.

Of course now that I have mentioned it in this thread, 3 years from now when it hasn't happened someone will necromance this thread, call my attention to it, and ask why it has not happened yet.  

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 16 of 20
nathan.terranova

@loboarch no doubt it'll get pushed down the list of priorities haha

Primary concern at this moment:

Because my company just turned on SSO they want to know the SSOServer setting won't torpedo that. So if we can figure out what that does we'll be happy for the moment.

For what it's worth, here is what I have accumulated so far. Some sections are blank, but included for reference.

[Revit.ini]
[AppFrame]
Theme=1
[Applications]
Mechanical=0
Electrical=0
Architectural=1
Structural=0
[AutoCam]
SaveRewindThumbnails=0
[Backups]
SaveReminderMinutes=0
SaveToCentralReminderMinutes=0
[Colors]
<provide company standard colors here>
[Directories]
<provide company standard file paths here>
[DirectoriesENU]
[DirectoriesENG]
[DNSM]
TaskDialog_Wall_Attach_To_Floor=1002
TaskDialog_Wall_Attach_To_Roof=1002
Nested Links - Invisible=8
[Documentation]
[Export]
ExportDwfNumberOfWorkers=4
[FileNotificationSuppression]
[Graphics]
FreezeScheduleHeader=0
OptimizedViewNavigation=1
Antialiasing=1
AntialiasingOptions=0
SemiTransparent=1
TempDimFontSizeInPoints=11
TempDimTextBackground=1
[Install]
<provide installguid here>
[InstallationSettings]
Language=ENU
Usage=All
[Language]
Select=ENU
[Macro]
AppSecurity=1
UIDocSecurity=1
[Manage Links]
[Messages]
SuppressConfirmLevelRename=7
SuppressConfirmPlanViewRename=7
[Misc]
SSOServer=0 what does this do??
EnableWeatherInLocation=1
[Modify]
Family_PlaceOrRehostMode=3095
Align_Multiple=1
[Partitions]
WorksharingDisplayFrequency=61
[PerformanceOptimizations]
[Project Browser]
[Prompts]
TooltipAssistance=99
[Recent File List]
[Recent Workset List]
[Selection]
AllowFaceSelection=0
AllowLinkSelection=1
AllowPinnedSelection=1
AllowPressAndDrag=0
AllowUnderlaySelection=0
[SlabShapeUI]
ElevationBaseType=1
[Snapping]
[Spelling]
OptionFlagsSSCE=18
[StatusBar]
[TagOnPlacement]
[UserInterface]
ViewSwitchingOrder=0
DisplayRecentFilesPage=1
UseHardwareAcceleration=1
DisciplineOption=65021
DoubleClickFamily=NoAction
CategoryDisciplineFilter=63
[ViewOptions]
[Windows]
Maximized=1
Message 17 of 20
loboarch

@nathan.terranova I did some looking into this SSOServer setting. It looks like it is used to keep your current logon set and signed in from session to session. So after you close if you are logged in with SSO account, you will remain logged in when you restart Revit. That is what it looks like to me based on the one thing I found. 

In most circumstances, you will NEVER need to do anything  with this setting. We use it internally sometimes to switch from a live server to a staging environment while we are building a new feature or testing something. That is about all i could gather from the instance where it was mentioned. 

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 18 of 20
loboarch

This is an example where even if we had a comprehensive list it might not even be worth the trouble. It is kind of like not really wanting to know how the sausage is made. Or even if you do, how does it help?

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 19 of 20
jfhalaby

@loboarch I appreciate you looking into this topic for us. I agree perhaps the SSOServer setting might not be too helpful, but having a comprehensive list would be very helpful so we know we are not missing a useful setting when creating deployments. I deploy to 100+ people, so every dialog that I can safely suppress by default adds up to a lot of time saved. 

Message 20 of 20
nathan.terranova

Fyi, enlisted the help of ChatGPT and I'm not disappointed. Have to caution though, anything it puts out would need to be verified.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report