Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2022 Crashes while making changes in Material Browser

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
neniapoloh
7248 Views, 38 Replies

Revit 2022 Crashes while making changes in Material Browser

My Revit crashes when I am making changes in Material Browser, especially while duplicating a material. First it freezes and after about 10 seconds it just disappears fast. No warnings or error reporting window. Just swift crash. I've installed everything again, updates are up to date and graphics card has been updated. Using BIM360 Cloud. This has now been going on three moths or so. Any ideas what next?

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
barthbradley
in reply to: neniapoloh

Sounds hardware-related.  Dunno. 

Maybe the next time it happens, save and post the Journal File.  

Message 3 of 39
HVAC-Novice

What hardware inc. PSU?

Do other high-demand applications also crash? 

any add-ins? If so, de-install them to test.

did it work before and just started to happen? Any changes since before it started to happen? 

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 4 of 39
ToanDN

It happened to me a few times if I get to the material editor from editing a family types (wall, floor, etc...) If I get to the material manager directly from Manage > Materials then no issues.

Message 5 of 39
HVAC-Novice

Hotfix 2022.1.1 was published a week ago. Did you install that? 

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 6 of 39
neniapoloh

Hey all, thanks for the comments.

@ToanDN I tried this and this method does not crash Revit 🙂

@HVAC-Novice Yes, I installed Hotfix 2022.1.1, it did not make any change. No other high-demand application crashes like this. I think the only change was that I started using Revit 2022. 

@barthbradley I saved a journal, but I need to go through it with our IT guy first since I've got no ideas what secrets it might reveal.

This I noticed, if I do the same thing to a project that is in my computer or in our office server then Revit does not crash like it crashes when the project is in BIM360 (EuroCloud). Then again the projects that I tested with in three different locations aren't the same projects.

Message 7 of 39

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have had this issue a lot with the Material Browser. There is no option to send a crash report, the program simply closes with no warning. As suggested above by @barthbradley, the journal file and journal worker1.log is attached.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Microsoft Windows 11 Professional
Dell Precision 5870 - x64 based PC - Intel Xeon CPU @ 3.80GHz, 6 Core. 80Gb RAM
Installed Add Ins - Enscape/StrucSoft MWF/LotSpec
Message 8 of 39

The program still crashes on me when duplicating a material by going to Manage>Materials but seems to be less frequent.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 9 of 39
arulewich

This just happened to me as well. Crash while duplicating a material. Latest hotfix installed, Revit 2022.1. No warnings or anything. I believe the only extension/plugin installed is Enscape (which was running, although I was editing a family at the time this happened, and was not in the main project/interfacing with Enscape).

Message 10 of 39

@arulewich, that is something that you and I have in common is Enscape. I wondered actually if that had anything to do with it.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 11 of 39

Hm, an interesting development. A quick google search brought forth this post on the Enscape forums: https://forum.enscape3d.com/index.php?thread/945-live-update-enscape-causing-revit-to-crash/ . I posted there. Perhaps that is the underlying issue. Was live sync turned on for you when the issue happened? It was for me (though as I noted I was in a family and not the main model where Enscape had been launched from).
Message 12 of 39

It's hard to believe that this has been going on for so long. The first post in the Enscape Forum was from 2016. I did have live update active when it first happened I believe, then it seemed to keep happening. I've disabled Enscape this morning altogether to see if that helps. I have also downloaded some Enscape Materials and have one of those used in my model in the file that I have trouble with. What a shame if it is Enscape that is causing this, it's one of my favorite programs.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 13 of 39
sdbrownBECK

I don't know that its enscape as I just had this happen and I do have enscape installed however I wasn't running it.  But same thing, just created a new material by duplicating an existing material(ootb) and changed its color and applied and pooofffff no more revit.

Message 14 of 39

I haven't had much trouble with this for a while but one thing that I did notice is that it seemed to be specific to one of the OOTB templates. I want to say that it was the Imperial Architectural Template. I used that template as a starting point to create a new template for the company I work for and the problem persisted until I Purged Unused and that cleaned up the problem. Unfortunately of course, I lost a lot of the things that I would have liked to keep but it was easier to go that route than to try to figure out specifically what was causing the crashes.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 15 of 39

I have been experiencing this as well.  Exactly form the descriptions above.

Message 16 of 39
sdbrownBECK

We did verify it was enscape causing our issue, if you disable enscape the problem should go away or update to the latest enscape and that seems to have fixed it for us also.  However for what its worth we are seeing significant performance issues on some machines that have 2022 and enscape and pyrevit, remove either pyrevit or enscape and things get better, but with both of them the performance is awful.

Message 17 of 39
cdechant
in reply to: sdbrownBECK

Thank you I will let my IT Dept know.
Message 18 of 39

​Hi,  same trouble here, but enscape wasn't running, duplicating then editing a material make revit Crash, 

lastest build Revit 2022.1  enscape 3.3.1 

editing material with manage-->Materials    no crash, 

duplating, close then reopen and editing no crash   using the edit material button

weird,  not sure It enscape related...

so probleme not solved at all,  

typical autodesk,  responce,  WE   all the customers get use to it ,  as Zaha Hadid mentionned , in their  open letter...

Message 19 of 39
Quinn.Knudsen

I have had this same issue for months now. I've even been working directly with Autodesk and have had zero help. It's outrageously frustrating to have to sync every couple minutes because you may lose work at any moment while using the material browser. 

For those still having issues, open your Task Manager and watch your CPU usage when you open the Material Browser. Even on my high-end Alienware, my CPU spikes to 100% while in the browser. If you expand the Revit task, you'll see a material browser task that will spike your CPU, we're assuming because Revit is trying to render each individual material in the browser. Even changing to text view only makes no difference. 

Message 20 of 39

the only solution I found,   duplicate the material, then close the material editor

then goes to apparence "duplicate"   from 1-->0  the number in the hand, 

it switching from apperance to render that make revit crash,

from what I experienced,

revit 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report