Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2020.2 Changing Internal Origin Default

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
VA-CEG
6743 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2020.2 Changing Internal Origin Default

Hi, 

After updating to Revit 2020.2, my internal origin is showing in every single view. Currently all my views are considering the internal origin as part of the view. 

Yes, you can uncheck it in under Model Categories, under Site however I am looking for a way to change the default to turn it off everywhere. 

Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SteveKStafford
in reply to: VA-CEG

There isn't...as yet. It might be possible to deal with it via Dynamo but nobody has yet. So far my testing shows it happens to v2020 files that are opened with 2020.2. It doesn't seem to happen during the upgrade process from older versions.

If you're using View Templates well it shouldn't be difficult to update the views that really matter with those. The icon doesn't print so if it is visible it doesn't really "matter"...other than being annoying seeing it.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 3 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I haven't got the new update but I suspect Dynamo nodes may also need to be updated to expose the new category (Internal Origin).
Message 4 of 12
rmartinXQZDX

I have the same problem.  And some views it won't turn off at all.

This sucks.

Message 5 of 12

If there are linked files then the Project Base Point, Survey Point and Internal Origin icons can be visible too. If you've overridden a Revit Links graphics in V/G then you'll have to drill down to turn of those there too.

This only seems to affect files that are already in v2020 and then opened with 2020.2. Upgraded files from previous versions 2019..18 etc.) don't seem to suffer from this, that I've seen so far.

Steve Stafford
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 6 of 12

Thanks Steve - I was wondering why it showed up in some projects and not others.  So I gather it only affects projects opened/saved in 2020 or 2020.1 but not anything upgraded from 2019 (or earlier) straight into 2020.2.  That seems to fit my experience.  Interestingly, it did NOT happen when I started a new project from the Autodesk 2020 (Aus) template file.

Really annoyingly, the Internal origin symbol shows up by default in 3D views (Iso and Perspective).  I solved that by creating a default 3D View Template, and setting it to apply to all new 3D views (in a 3D view Type property) - I also use that to prevent those pesky Levels and cope boxes from showing up in 3D views.

RevitCat
Revit Consultant
Sydney
Message 7 of 12

Hi Tim - I traded a couple emails with Autodesk staff on this. My understanding (not a developer) is this is not merely something they overlooked. Consider when a 2020 file is opened in 2020.2 it is not going through an upgrade because the file format is compatible. This creates a scenario where they are not activating upgrade code to resolve the existing file's structure with a new version's structure.

Unfortunately this new subcategory gets enabled and its visible status is "on" at the outset. It's my understanding that "off" isn't an option...in this scenario...without also creating an upgrade scenario...which is conceptually a no-go...within a release year.

Upgraded files go through an upgrade process which imposes rules on that process...which includes a task that deliberately "turns off" this new subcategory. It's a quirk of the file open sequence/process.

I think they didn't expect it to be a significant issue. It doesn't print after all. It can negatively affect zooming behavior in many views though. User perceptions can't be ignored either. An unexpected "thing" encroaching on views is "bad"...similar to seeing a view's crop boundary when not intended.

To their credit, they asked if I agreed they should create a Dynamo solution to turn it off in all views. Naturally I encouraged them to DO IT! Hopefully we'll be able to say that such a solution exists soon.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Has anyone also experienced their project base point moving? Mine seems to have moved around the same time as the upgrade and along with the new icon appearing ion every view. I can now not create a Navisworks model as the project base point is now over twenty miles away. Nor can I move the project base point back. 

Message 9 of 12
SteveKStafford
in reply to: Anonymous

I replied to your other post too. If this is truly the result of opening the file AND upgrading then you ought to create a formal support request with Autodesk. If there is a bug like that it needs to get looked at. If this is a 2020 file opened in 2020.2 then there is no upgrade involved.

How many other people work on the file? Sadly, every instance I've ever encountered with wandering models and coordinate systems it has tracked back to someone deciding to change or fix something they didn't fully understand. If it's just you then I'd go back to focusing on a support request.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 10 of 12
fcrisp
in reply to: Anonymous

We have migrated a large project with 4 buildings linked in a site model from Revit 2018 to 2020.1 and have encountered the visibility issue raised by the OP. On reading your post, I jumped into my site file to check that all my building were correctly aligned and in essence found that everything is ok. So I'm inclined to agree with Steve Stafford's post and advice.

Maybe not specifically on topic... I have a couple of other comments about the 2020 change...

When you select a linked file it will now show you the Shared Site and Coordinates info. Nice! Well except for the graphical bug where the shared site name is overlaid on the project base point text.
Revit 2020.2 Selected Link PBP InfoRevit 2020.2 Selected Link PBP Info
It seems that they have changed the Project Base Point & Survey Mark to grey and blue when selected; previously it was blue unselected and purple selected.

Here are the Internal Origins for the linked buildings.
Revit 2020.2 Linked Internal OriginsRevit 2020.2 Linked Internal Origins
I have zoomed in very close to show that they diverge. This is a result of receiving and updated/corrected subdivision survey and having to adjust the position & orientation of each building. Thank god for Shared Sites and having a common Project Base Point.

The one thing I would like is to be able to select a linked file by the Internal Origin and for the Linked name or filename to be visible.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Message 11 of 12
ScottG-WMZA

Yes same problem very annoying with so many view templates setup><

Message 12 of 12

See my blog post for a couple Dynamo solutions to turning on/off the internal origin.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report