Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2019 Elementary - wall dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
432 Views, 5 Replies

Revit 2019 Elementary - wall dimensions

Good day,

Apologies for this elementary question.

I am starting out with a simple floorplan.  I am battling to get to grips with the concept of scale and sheet size.

Regardless of my scale setting, drawing a line across my screen indicates a line of 100,000mm.    In my case, I wish to show a line of approx 10,000mm, but still utilizing the full width of my screen.   I imagine I need to amend the physical size of my canvass(sheet).

Any advice to assist my grasp of these concepts will help.

Thank you

Jon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no "LTSCALE" like in AutoCAD.  Sheets are 1:1 and 1:1 Views are scaled.  

Viewport Scale.png

Message 3 of 6
SteveKStafford

Everything you model is 1:1, real world dimensions. Sheet Views are 1:1 too but the views you place on sheet have their own scale.

If your wall is 10 meters long you make it 10 meters. Since each view you work in can be assigned its own scale, the dimensions you place are designed based on printed size so text is always 2.4 mm for example regardless of view scale. Consider, in AutoCAD we use a scale factor to increase the size of dimensions and text (or more recently annotation styles). In Revit the model is scaled and annotation remains the same. Same result, different logic or approach. Dimensions are also governed by Units, either the Project's settings or the dimension's own override for specific tolerance/rounding.

A stock template has elevation views set up from each of the four ordinate directions. Model inside that "imaginary box/boundary". If your building is bigger, move the elevations farther apart...if smaller...closer together.

Create a sheet view based on a sheet size you need and then place the view on the sheet to assess how well it fits on paper.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Steve, Many thanks for this.  Got me on my way.  

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you Bart

Message 6 of 6
barthbradley

...something else that may help you to know: Crop Regions that you place in a view have a "Crop Size". Selecta Crop Region and look on contexutal tab.  See "Crop Size".  Open it up. There you'll see what the "real world" height and width of that cropped region is, based on the view's scale.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report