Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reload link files - view template change

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
mairh_tsek
2717 Views, 18 Replies

Reload link files - view template change

Hello all,

I have created view templates for all the sheets. Every two weeks we need to reload the new link models (from other disciplines) in our project. The problem is that my plans change.. there are links that appear and they shouldn't or the opposite , annotation which in the view template configuration are hidden for the linked models etc. So each time I lose the custom visibility settings.

Do you face the same problem?

Any idea? I applied view templates in every sheet in order to avoid these kind of problems.

Thank you

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: mairh_tsek

When you reload the linked files are you using "reload from"? or are you ensuring to "reload" the Exact same file name? If you "Reload from", it can reset the graphics. Additionally, do you have the button "Preserve Graphic Overrides" checked when you reload? If all of that is monitored, use filters and custom link settings to apply rules to your view templates in order to ensure certain things do not pop up in your drawings.

Message 3 of 19
mairh_tsek
in reply to: Anonymous

I use Reload from..the name of the files change as the version changes..for example the name of the file is ARCH.REV19-0.01 and the new file has the name ARCH.REV19-0.02 , but I put the files in the same path. 

Where is the option "Preserve Graphic Overrides" ? 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

That would be why. The linked file has to retain the exact same name throughout the project, otherwise the graphics will reset every time. Reload from will detach the graphics from the model as the link is treated as a new element. 

Message 5 of 19
mairh_tsek

Can I use reload? or I need also to have exactly the same name in order to find the file automatically?.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

Reload. As long as the file remains in the same name and in the same link location, it should maintain the same graphic overrides

Message 7 of 19
Karol_Piroska

the linked file does not need to have same name and frankly shouldn't have (the revision should be clear so that noone can make a mistake regarding latest revision being linked).
Graphics change only if you link a new file (and it would be so helpful and a money saver if Autodesk introduced templates for linked files), or if there is something changed in the linked file that is not working properly with filters or linked views.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Karol_Piroska

@Karol_Piroskathe linked file naming should always be dictated and followed according to a BIM Execution Plan. The name of the linked file should never be changed for the life of the project as per a BXP. Link re-naming can disrupt workflows. 

Message 9 of 19
mairh_tsek

So as the name change each time, and the file is updated ..will i have always the same problem?

Message 10 of 19
RobDraw

I totally disagree with @Anonymous about V/G settings changing when the name of the link changes when using "reload from". This workflow was a life changer for me. I use dummy links in my project template so that I can have view templates preset with Revit links. I, and many other users, see this workflow as valid without any issues whatsoever.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw I don't disagree with your methods, as that works for you, however from an IT and BIM management perspective, limiting the number of linked files, archives, etc should be a high priority. This is why we decide on file naming at the beginning of a project. It is best practice to retain the same file and same file name throughout the length of the project.   

Message 12 of 19
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobDraw I don't disagree with your methods, as that works for you, however from an IT and BIM management perspective, limiting the number of linked files, archives, etc should be a high priority. This is why we decide on file naming at the beginning of a project. It is best practice to retain the same file and same file name throughout the length of the project.   

Please reread my post.

I did not have anything to say about that aspect of your workflow as there is no best practice for it. The name of the file has no impact on the topic at hand.

Rob

Message 13 of 19
rsnyderPNHQ9

@Anonymous have you had any issues with CAD Links? We use files with the same name to try to avoid using Reload From for this reason, also the "Preserve Graphic Overrides" is checked, but we are still having the CAD layer settings "V/G Overrides Import" return to default every time.

Message 14 of 19
RobDraw

I think that was addressed earlier. I would expect a different set of settings for a different name because of my experience with AutoCAD. I've not tried it though. Why don't you try it for yourself and report your findings here?

Rob

Message 15 of 19
fosland1

so what was the actual consenses on this? Does the different name actually reset the custom template settings or does it only have to be the same exact file in the same exact location to retain the settings?

Message 16 of 19
fosland1
in reply to: Karol_Piroska

so what was the actual consenses on this? Does the different name actually reset the custom template settings or does it only have to be the same exact file in the same exact location to retain the settings?

Message 17 of 19
fosland1

Message 18 of 19
RobDraw

It's not a matter of consensus. Reloading from with a different file name doesn't change graphic settings. 

It's an easy test. Try it out.

Rob

Message 19 of 19
ToanDN
in reply to: fosland1

@fosland1 wrote:

When you reload a DWG, pay attention to this Box.

ToanDN_0-1651765317519.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report