Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railings - baluster containing structural member

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
432 Views, 4 Replies

Railings - baluster containing structural member

I have embedded a structural column in my baluster family so that I can show my sonotubes. I was hoping to have these concrete upstands show up in my slab plan so we can collaborate with mechanical. For my slab plan I always set my view template to a "structural discipline", and therefore only my structural walls will show up. 

Long story short, is there a way using shared parameters that I can allow my embedded column to attain a structural check box like my walls? Or does anyone have any thoughts as to how we can show the columns without placing each one individually?

Thanks in advance,

C

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

interesting approach, but aren't you defeating some structural intelligence and functionality? Have you used this process before? Just curious. 

@Anonymous wrote:

does anyone have any thoughts as to how we can show the columns without placing each one individually?

Placing them at simultaneously at grid intersections? 

Message 3 of 5
ToanDN

I don't think it's possible.  How about going the other way?  Nest a baluster inside the sonotube and load it in as a structural element, array it to create the balusters, then run the railing (a type with only rails) along.  Let face it, the OOTB railing baluster configurations are far from meeting any levels of satisfaction anyways.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

No I haven't used it, I was just thinking of the fastest way to add the structural elements to my project. Yeah it does limit me for some things, like if I were to cut a section I cannot join the columns, and I can't easily change the size of the member. However all I really need is them to show up on a slab plan, so it would be nice if the column could be structural

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Alright, So FIY, It was just a stupid mistake on my part.

My column that was nested was not a "structural column" - I changed the family category and she displays in my slab plan!! Perfect 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report