Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick host with sketch railing goes to bottom of stairs not current floor!

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
gnarkill283
2135 Views, 13 Replies

Pick host with sketch railing goes to bottom of stairs not current floor!

I have a continuous stair on multiple floors which I need to add railings to. When I pick railing>place on stair, the railings can not be modified whatsoever without receiving this error:

image.png

Really cool Revit! So then I figured out I can sketch the railing and then pick a host, but when I try to add the 2nd floors railings while sketching on the 2nd floor, the railings appear at the bottom of the stairs on the first floor. Am I really going to have to break up all these stairs by floors? Please say no

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: gnarkill283

Is it a Multi-Story Stair?  

...honestly, the error message tells the whole story -- as well as offers a solution.  Have you tried separates?   

Message 3 of 14
ToanDN

@gnarkill283 wrote:

I have a continuous stair on multiple floors which I need to add railings to. When I pick railing>place on stair, the railings can not be modified whatsoever without receiving this error:

Really cool Revit! So then I figured out I can sketch the railing and then pick a host, but when I try to add the 2nd floors railings while sketching on the 2nd floor, the railings appear at the bottom of the stairs on the first floor. Am I really going to have to break up all these stairs by floors? Please say no

2018 or older:

- Don't use sketch railing then pick host

- Draw one railing by place in stair, copyclip

- Edit sketch and get rid half of it (figuratively speaking), the remaining sketch should be a continuous string, accept

- Paste aligned in place, edit the second railing sketch and get rid of the other half (again, figuratively speaking), accept

- now you have separate railings on a single multi-level stairs (not to be confused with multi-story stairs)

2019 and newer:

Use Split tool to split the railing, then delete the segments you don't want

Annotation 2019-05-23 105314.pngAnnotation 2019-05-23 105440.png

Message 4 of 14
gnarkill283
in reply to: barthbradley

Did you read my entire post? I said I tried sketching them separately but they always fall to the bottom of the stairs

Message 5 of 14
gnarkill283
in reply to: ToanDN

I actually have to use sketch railing because I need 2 different kinds of railing on either side. So my question is when I use sketch and pick the stair as host on the 2nd floor how can I keep the railing on the second floor? If that's not possible and there are no other solutions, I will just break up the stairs by floor - just want to know for sure that's what I have to do before doing it.

Message 6 of 14
gnarkill283

Or I'll try to split out one side of railing - do another railing by stair and split its other side out - lets see if that works

Message 7 of 14
ToanDN

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Or I'll try to split out one side of railing - do another railing by stair and split its other side out - lets see if that works

It works. After split you can change them to different railing types.

Annotation 2019-05-23 113405.png

Message 8 of 14
gnarkill283

YOU DA MAN TOANDN! Thank you!

Message 9 of 14
ToanDN

I normally create them myself. What are specific styles do you need? Can you show a photo?
Message 10 of 14
barthbradley

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Did you read my entire post? I said I tried sketching them separately but they always fall to the bottom of the stairs

Yes I did; a few times. And, it is still unclear to me what you are doing.  The workflow that you described is correct, but obviously something is missing from your description because you are getting an error.   So, asking questions is where troubleshooting begins.  I notice you didn't answer my first question.  

Message 11 of 14
barthbradley

So, by the look of it, segmenting the railing sketch worked.  So,I guess my original question was spot on.  

FWIW: Autodesk Revit Rail Samples available here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/...

Message 12 of 14
gnarkill283

I just need a standard egress stair single pipe handrail that attaches to the wall - thought I had found it so I edited my response but it doesn't workimage.png

Message 13 of 14
gnarkill283

Nvm I modified one to work - would be nice though to have a solid wall mounted fire stair handrail

Message 14 of 14
barthbradley

..so, this one doesn't work for you? 

smfr.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators