Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Repeating Memebr

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
shefypattambi
2760 Views, 28 Replies

Parametric Repeating Memebr

Hello,

I would like to ask you what type of parameter I should provide in the attached RFA file to repeat my horizontal and diagonal bracing along the height of the column? 

Kindly Help me. 

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
L.Maas
in reply to: shefypattambi

For this you would create an array.

Array1.png

Then you would use an integer parameter to determine the quantity of repeating elements.

(Note that in Revit this value has to be 2 or larger. In Revit arrays with a single element are not allowed)

Array.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 29
shefypattambi
in reply to: L.Maas

Hello Mr. EnlInt, Thanks for the reply. I had reached up to this stage as you mentioned. Then I crate a "Column height" parameter between the reference level as a reporting parameter. Then the count parameter is linked with parameter "Column Height" using this formula " (Count = Column Height/1500mm ). 1500mm is center center distance between the Horizontal Beam. I got stuck at this point because when flexing the column height always one diagonal bracing is coming above the column height. So my doubt is what should I do in this formula (Count = Column Height/1500mm ) or is there any alternative ?
Message 4 of 29

You say that your count is always one diagonal bracing too many...

Then, how about: Count = "(Column Height/1500mm)-1"

Message 5 of 29

Hiii, Adding -1 is not working as indented. Please check the family.
Message 6 of 29
ToanDN

Check the family attached.  You need two arrays.  One for the horizontal member and another for the diagonal member.  In a sense, @barthbradley was correct about the formula.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 29
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

...better to have some sense, than none. Right? Thx for sharing some credit, ToanDN. Cheers!

Message 8 of 29
FGPerraudin

Ok , here is the issue. You need to handle the tour of your division. Roundup (operation) in order to get a max interval of your dividend, rounddown (operation) for a minimum inyerval of your dividend (or spacing). So your formula should look like roundup (length/spacing)... hope this is of help, sorry for the wroting i am on my phone.....
Francois

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Message 9 of 29
shefypattambi

Dear Toan, Thanks for the help. But did you try to flex the reference level height ?
Message 10 of 29
shefypattambi
in reply to: FGPerraudin

Please check this

Message 11 of 29
ToanDN

Try this one.  I had to create a new family for the smaller member assembly and nested it in the main column.  It seems to work now.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 12 of 29
barthbradley

I just looked at your family and noticed why the original formula wasn't working with "-1". The Column height is the total distance between Level 1 and Level 2, however your array doesn't span that whole distance because you started the array offset 1560.3 from level 1. In that case, the correct formula for the arrayed distance would be the column height minus this offset to figure the number of braces. Understand what I mean?  

Message 13 of 29
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

The formula is fine.  (-2) accounts for the 1500 mm offset from the base level.  What did not work was when the level height flex the array was broken.  My guess is structural members have their own special way to constrain to one another and to the floor levels.  It is different than, say a generic model family built the exact same way.

So, I had to separate the members to a nested family to break that relationship.  I think the latest file I posted should work how he visions it.

Edit:  I fixed the family and the formula so it works for shorter height.  The one before breaks when the height is less than 5000 mm.

Message 14 of 29
barthbradley

Yes, ToanDN, I do get that and you did a fine job. I just happened to notice that. Also, I'm speculating about why a 2-level family altogether; why not no level constraints? Just curious.

Message 15 of 29
shefypattambi

Dear Mr. ToanDN and Mr Bradley,
Many thanks for the clear explanation and for the family. I had to provide diagonal member to the other side also and  X bracings at the back side of the column. I will figure it out how to that based upon your explanation and if I got stuck definitely I will come back to you Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 29
ToanDN

If I were you I would ask over the Revit Structure forum. You may have better answers there.
Message 17 of 29

I think this type of family would be easier to handle if it were made with the adaptive template, so that the horizontal and diagonal members that repeat in between the 3 vertical tubes work as repeaters that repeat along a divided path (the tubes). This approach also helps in placing the diagonal members from node to node of divided paths, instead of placing generic extrusions, which are more difficult to maintain parametric if the 3 tubes grow in length or change their spacing in plan. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 18 of 29

Something like this:

In an adaptive template:

1) A triangle

2) The triangle is extruded to create a form.

3) On the vertical edges of the forms, divided paths to create nodes

4) The faces of the form are divided surfaces, with a rhomboid pattern

5) Another family, a tube, with 2 adaptive points, is placed on the nodes.

Just an idea... 

It would be nice that we could select any category for this type of families, such as "Structural Framing", or "Structural Column" but those categories are not available. Only the categories that somebody decided to make available in the adaptive template. 

2016-10-20_21-16-38.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 19 of 29

Very clever, Alfredo! You reminded me of this You Tube video by Hyun Woo Kim entitled "Parametric DNA arch structure":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlpMPPFA_U

Message 20 of 29

I love the use of adaptative templates...

Then just nest it in a structural family!

Kudo for this, @Alfredo_Medina!

François

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report