Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Family Parameters Grey

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
curban
1805 Views, 6 Replies

Nested Family Parameters Grey

I need some help with a nested family I have been working on. We have a project with a garage that includes a variety of parking stall "classifications." I accounted for these in a schedule by adding an instance parameter to individual spaces called "space classification."  It worked fine on individual spaces and when arraying an individual space within the project model. However, to get some other tags to work and for easier type changing, I created a parking array family that includes nested single parking spaces. You can change the number of spaces and type of space. However, I now that it is a nested family, I am unable to change the "space classification" parameter to schedule each space. 

In the nested(child) model, "space classification" is an instance parameter. It is a type parameter in the host(parent) family. It seems to be correct except for one problem...in the project model, i can tab to the individual space and see the "space classification" parameter, where i should be able to choose the classification. However, it is greyed out and there seems to be no way to change it or link it to another parameter. 

Ive included the host and nested models, but i cannot include the project file. My goal is to be able to use this one family to create multiple arrays of parking spaces but be able to schedule each array as a different classification. 

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: curban

I wouldn't put "Space Classification" in Host Family.  The Nested Family is a Shared Family. Make Nested Family's "Space Classification" a Shared Parameter and it will Report in Schedules and will be available to Tags as well.  

Message 3 of 7
barthbradley

I read your post again, and it sounds like you want to associate the "Space Classification" Nested Family Parameter to the Parking Stall Array Family Parameter of the same name.

Like in this attachment?  

Message 4 of 7
curban
in reply to: barthbradley

Unfortunately I cannot open the attachment, we are still on Revit 2018. 

Only keeping the param in the nested family as you suggest almost works, the parameter comes through to the project model where i want it, but it is greyed out an unselectable. I have explored linking it through the host family, but nothing i do seems to work. I was able to get it to be definable at one point by making it a type parameter, but then the issue is that every parking space is set to the same parameter, and i would need to create a bunch of separate family types to schedule properly. 

Nested family parameters:

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.31.44 AM.png

What i get in the project model:

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.20.09 AM.png

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley

The parameter is grayed out  in the Nested Familybecause it is associated to the same  named parameter in the Host.  Break that association if you want each Stall to have a unique Classification. It would need to be a INSTANCE TYPE Parameter in the Single Stall Family.  

Now if, you just want the Array to have a Classification that is different from the each Stall - DON NOT associate the parameters at all.  In fact, name them differently (e.g. "Single Classification" and "Array Classification", or something to that affect).  And make them both SHARED PARAMETERS.

Does this make sense? I'll send a 2018 in a little bit.   

Message 6 of 7
curban
in reply to: barthbradley

With your suggestions I was able to find the issue! I had the parameters and their settings right all along, but it turns out it was an issue with setting the parameter within the array of the family. Im not going to be able to describe this well, but i'll try:

If you create an array of the parking stalls in the project itself, Revit creates a group for the array. You then need to tab down to the single stall to change the individual parameters of the stalls. Changing one stall changes all stalls in the array. However, when you nest the individual stall in a family and then array it in that family....when you tab through in the project Revit doesn't seem to recognize the family down to the single stall level, only to the group. So the parameter is greyed out. 

My solution is to link the Instance parameter of the single stall family to the an instance parameter of the host family (i added "array to the end of the parameter name to avoid conflicts in the model). However, for some reason you can only set this relationship BEFORE you array the nested family. once this is set, you are able to select the host family within the project and set the classification to what you want, this then associates all the individual stalls within that instance to the same classification. New families are attached for reference.

Thanks for your help (again).

Message 7 of 7
barthbradley

Take a look at the attached 2018 files.  Note that the Parking Row (e.g. Array) has defined TYPES in it just like the Single Stall did for different Angles. Additionally, I mitigated an error that is typically thrown when an Array has less then 2 arrayed elements.  It was achieved by creating a single parking stall condition. It's automatic.  

Now regarding this "Space Classification" INSTANCE Parameter you are trying to build into the stalls, like I said before, that's not possible with arrayed elements.  Arrayed elements are COPIES so they share the same Parameters -- but what nice is that if they are Arrayed Instances of a Shared Family (like this Parking Stall Family), then in the Project you can assign a unique identifier to each instance's MARK or COMMENT.   The Mark or Comment could be in lieu of your "Space Classification".  They can even be renamed on Schedules (e.g. change "Mark" to "Space Classification").  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report