Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misbehaving Radial Array

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jprash78
618 Views, 9 Replies

Misbehaving Radial Array

Hi, I'm really fighting this one.  The radial array radius parameter is knocking the deck trusses out of whack, i.e. not aligned to left/right and front/back reference planes.  The out-of-whackness becomes more apparent as the deck truss radius offset parameter is increased.  How do I get them aligned?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
_Vijay
in reply to: jprash78

_Vijay_0-1604810404056.png

how do you need exactly? any sketch

Message 3 of 10
jprash78
in reply to: _Vijay

2020-11-08_4-55-06.jpg

I am envisioning the components at 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270° will be aligned with front/back and left/right axis.  I wonder if the solid elements in the embedded Family are not constrained enough.

Message 4 of 10
jprash78

So it appears when the array is initially created/placed in hostfamily/project, respectively, the elements at 0°, 90°, 180°, & 270° are aligned.  Then misalignment begins when the radial array is flexed.

Update (5-min later): it appears the embedded Family of the deck truss needs to have some "balance" about the left/right ref plane.  If I draw an invisible symbolic line to align with the far right edge of the modelled solids, then mirror about the left/right ref plane, it will align like I am hoping.

Message 5 of 10
jprash78

It appears there is some centroidal assumption Revit applies when radial arraying, in this case the arrayed element center is slightly to the right of the left/right ref plane.  I'll be...

2020-11-08_6-23-35.jpg

Message 6 of 10
barthbradley

I don't understand the issue. Can't you Rotate and Lock the Array?  

Rarray.png

Message 7 of 10
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

Rarray2.png

Message 8 of 10
barthbradley

Rarray3.pngRarray4.pngRarray5.png

Message 9 of 10
jprash78

Okay apparently I didn't do enough SnagIts to make my point smh

Where is the radial array creation process do you lock the element may I ask?

Message 10 of 10
barthbradley

Not sure I understand you. But I just selected all the Model Groups making up your 6 element Array and Rotated it so that one of the Elements were Aligned precisely to the "Center" Ref. Plane.  Bada Bing. 

...and I flexed it afterwards by changing the "# Deck Trusses" parameter value (e.g. 6 to 12 to 24 -- so on and so forth). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report