Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Transparency

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tagee
23437 Views, 13 Replies

Material Transparency

I have revit 2018 LT. 

I am trying to get any of the glass materials to render transparent in Hidden Line view. I.e. glass shower door and curtain panels, so that it shows what is behind it with gray lines. And i dont want to have to override graphics in view every time my firm shows an elevation of a window. That is what view templates are for. What am I doing wrong? The graphic appearance of the glass material applied to the wall/panel/window (not render appearance, yes i know the difference) is set to 75% transparency but its still a solid white wall.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: tagee

A glass shower door family? 

Transparency in Elevation and 3D View is set in the family (on Options Bar). 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/revit...

Message 3 of 14
Sahay_R

Set transparency in the Material - 

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 14
tagee
in reply to: Sahay_R

as i stated in my post, i have the material transparency set to 75% - just like you highlighted, in the exact location you highlighted. but thanks or trying.

Message 5 of 14
barthbradley

@tagee: are you saying that my suggestion didn't resolve your issue either? Post your file and we'll take a look at it. 

...OH! I just noticed that you said "RENDER". The Render "Appearance" Tab setting are what you want to  adjust; not the "Graphics" Tab settings. 

Message 6 of 14
tagee
in reply to: barthbradley

this helps a lot, i will use this info to go from here. Though i am searching for a general answer, as i made a 1" generic wall type that the structure is only part and is glass - for glass shower walls, and im not seeing how this link to windows can apply to that, but i will try to make some custom families that do the same?

Message 7 of 14
Sahay_R

Post the file - at least the family.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 14
tagee

@barthbradley no I replied to the other comment with that, i replied to your comment saying it was helpful and i will try figuring something out from there!

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

While 3D views do, elevations will not show transparency. Ever. Doesn't matter the material properties. 

Yes, you can make the opening cuts transparent in door and window families using the options bar check mark. This is an all or nothing see-thru visibility, not a gradient of transparency. Then you also have to un-check visibility for subcategories (like window glass) that you don't want to see. This is not the same as making the glass semi-transparent.

For curtain walls and glass shower doors, only way to do what you are asking is to override surface transparency of the element in each view. You can automate this by adding a View Filter to your View Template. Unfortunately, Revit LT does not have View Filters.

Message 10 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

...pretty much what is stated in the Link I provided above. @tagee, did you follow the steps in that Link?  

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

@barthbradley Not really saying what you're saying. Your link implies he can do what he's asking. I'm saying explicitly he cannot. To make glass semi-transparent in elevation with Revit LT, he will have to do it manually per view.  

Message 12 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually, it doesn't. Re-read it.

Step #8: Go to Visibility Graphics for your elevation view and make sure that the Glass subcategory under the Window category is unchecked.

Message 13 of 14
dm0144
in reply to: Sahay_R

@Sahay_R It didn't work for me adjusting the Transparency for the material, as you suggested. 

I have multiple glass element in different categories and families so this approach would be most efficient in achieving transparency for all glass elements.

Message 14 of 14
leonard.roussel

For me it was "translucency" and not "transparency" that did the trick.. not sure why...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report