Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matchline: make only visible in view it was created

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
HVAC-Novice
2068 Views, 6 Replies

Matchline: make only visible in view it was created

I know how to use matchlines with the view reference and use them for dependent views to split up views to show on different sheets. So far so good. 

My problem is the match line is visible in all views in including in all phases. For example, I have a lighting plan i show in 1/4 scale and that requires me to split the view to put on 2 sheets with the matchline. 

A mechanical or architectural plan may be a 1/8" scale, and doesn't need to be split up. My only solution is to "hide" the matchline in each view that it is not supposed to be on. There also is the possibility a mechanical view has to be split up differently than an architectural view, even at the same scale. 

Am I missing something here, or how do I make the matchline only show up in the view it is created in (and its dependent views)

Revit version: R2024.2.1
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
s.borello
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I built my own custom family for a matchline for the reasons you state in your post.  Perhaps making your own custom annotative family is the way to go. 

Message 3 of 7

It is intended to show up everywhere by design. Use a View Template assigned to views that you don't want it visible in and turn off that subcategory in the View Template. View Templates are really important tool that helps us to define consistent requirements across a set of documents.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 7
HVAC-Novice

Borello: thanks, does your custom family still work with the view references? those tags work well only showing on the dependent view they are meant to.

Steve: I think that intent by Adesk is flawed. the reason to use a matchline is if a view is split up to fit better on sheets. How that is split, will vary by discipline, scale etc. Maybe there is a reason to show it in all views - but then there should be an option to make the matchline view dependent or global. Basically treat it like an annotation, or like a family (analog to model and detail lines) 

controlling visibility in the template also isn't practical since some architectural views may need the matchline, some not. so one needs to double the number of templates. 

Message 5 of 7
martijn_pater

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

Basically treat it like an annotation...

If you want to treat it like an annotation line, then just draw it as an annotation line / turn off your matchline in vg... ?

Message 6 of 7

We can disagree with how they approached it but the software doesn't respond to a difference of opinion. It works how it was designed to work. As they intended V/G and View Templates make it very simple to manage this (and many other things) across a project.

Before match lines were added I used a separate Grid type, because I wanted them to show up automatically more often than not and in other views like elevations/sections. Other people prefer to use Detail Lines and Detail Groups to manage it, or a family as suggested by another person earlier.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 7 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: martijn_pater

I like to keep the view reference functionality. So just using an annotation line won't work. 

what i meant by saying "annotation" is that it only exists on the view it is created, like an annotation. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators