Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

massing and such

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jfjacques
611 Views, 8 Replies

massing and such

So all I want to do is create a shape and extrude it. Lets say its a square with three "negative" squares in it. Imagine a wall with 3 windows.  

Is there no way of doing this with one massing?

I create a positive shape but I have to create negative one as well....a waste of time considering every other software would extrude nested loops, but ok. Then I find out I can't actually have more than one negative shape per positive form.....What am I missing?  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: jfjacques

Not with massing but with a normal extrusion yes. You can draw multiple non-intersecting loops and make them one extrusion.

Annotation 2019-06-20 105248.pngAnnotation 2019-06-20 105315.png

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Massing in Revit is terrible indeed, but you can add more than one void per solid.

Show us a picture of what you are trying to do.

Also give this idea a vote! It's about updating/finishing the development of massing tools.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/revisit-massing-and-panel-tools-give-them-some-love/idi-p...

Message 4 of 9
jfjacques
in reply to: Anonymous

OMFG! I never knew about extrude! I always just massed. 

This begs the question. What's the point of massing exactly? I figure it's to move from mass to revit system families, but this rarely works. Also why can't I just extrude and then convert the result to system families. Whoever came up with voids needs to be shot.  It's called Boolean Operations and it needs about 100 X more functionality. 

Yup went ahead and voted. 

Message 5 of 9
jfjacques

hmm can't seem to find extrusion... where is it? Weird. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

If you're asking thee kinds of questions, its likely because you have not done any research about how massing works. Please follow a tutorial in a video or book and then come back after learning a bit. It does not work like the rest of Revit or regular modelling.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

Any model family that is not Mass or Adaptive, such as Generic Models, Casework, Doors, etc.. and in-place family as well.
Message 8 of 9
jfjacques

ah components...model in place?

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Massing is done to do conceptual forms of building that are then populated with panels. It seems like you are trying to make a family.

I think you need to step back a bit and go back to basics of family creation. I think you went too far by going into massing. You took a wrong turn somewhere! 😮

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report