Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making hollow block walls

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
13429 Views, 20 Replies

Making hollow block walls

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how to make hollow core concrete block on Revit Architecture 2015? I think I may have to make my own family but then I really can't find the suitable template to make it. I want to model a house with a composite wall, concrete hollow blocks on the outside and timber battening with insulation inside. 

Would be great if someone can provide a family file or even suggest the correct template for the entity.

Attaching a sample pic of the desired wall type. Please help! 🙂

Cheers!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: Anonymous

hi

you can curtain family panel.rft and modeling a panel then load into open project and using Curtain wall.

3d panel family.png

3dPanel.png

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

Thanks. I could make the family. But when I load it, I can't see it anymore. I have turned on visibility for the curtain, walls and other layers. However, it is not even selecting it. Under which category can I find the wall now? 

Message 4 of 21
ToanDN

Why do you need to put the CMU block model within your wall assembly?  The rows are offset so you would need to create a custom curtain grid pattern for it.

I would build the wall assembly using the standard core/finish layers method, with proper materials applied.  The CMU block and interior framing can be taken care by detail components.

Message 5 of 21
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToanDN

Would you have a link with more info on the standard core/finish layers method?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 21
cbcarch
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I think the OP was asking how to model a wall assembly, like the example image. What is a bit unclear is:

1. Do the voids in the CMU really need to be modelled? If so, how to do it? Maybe the curtainwall is a way.

2. If the voids don't need to be modelled, then just use "normal" wall type with compound layers for CMU, finish, furring, etc.

If a "cutaway view" is the desired end result, then using Parts and editing Parts by Dividing them. To get "modelled" voids in the CMU is not easy,

but might be done using an in-place wall, and using cut geometry w/ voids. A LOT of work, but it could be done.

Parts also introduce another layer of complexity into the entire BIM, in visibility control especially. So travel with caution here, before rolling it out into a production environment.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Would you have a link with more info on the standard core/finish layers method?

It is the Revit OOTB Basic Wall assembly editing tool but you certainly know that.

Capture.PNG

Unless OP is doing a publication for a building material manufacturer, or a graphic tutorial of how to build a wall, which I see he is not from his initial post, then the OOTB method mentioned above should suffice.

Message 8 of 21
jmayo-EE

"....but you certainly know that."

I'm a Civil 3D EE not Revit so I really didn't know but I do now. 🙂

Thx! 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

I need to model the hollow wall block since I am modelling an Irish house with similar wall properties, at the moment. I know the method that you showed with the assigning of the skins of different materials for a wall, but that's incorrect since I need a hollow concrete block and not a normal one. Later on, I want to import this geometry to energy performance engines (e.g. EPlus) to perform the energy load and consumption analysis.

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

Hi,

Yes I need to model the voids in the concrete block. It's a pity that Revit does not have the options embedded in the materials only, since I don't think it would take a lot of effort to put in such a feature. Otherwise, a better family template could help as well to reduce the work. 

As for me, I modelled the wall with the required features but when I load it into the project, I can't see it and it's getting 'lost' somewhere. I have all the layers on in the visibility settings, but still doesn't work.

Message 11 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI

download Metric Curtain Wall Panel.rfa attached file.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

Hi there,

thanks a lot. Can you please save it in the 2015 version since I can't open the 2016 version.

Thanks a mil again, bud!

Message 13 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI

hi

I am sorry , Revit Save As this is not possible for previous versions.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

No problem. Thanks for your help anyways. 🙂

Message 15 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI

Process making:

1- Open Metric Generic Model.rft then Create a Block model.

block.png

2-now , opne a new family Metric Curtain Wall Panel.rft Template .

3-set panel size fix. for exampel : w = 1.304 and H = 3.872 .

4-Load Generic Model Block into Metric Curtain Wall Panel.rft and use Array tools to multi number parameter.

5-The number of layers, the extrusion tool will create and with Refrence Line Create Parameter .

block2.png

6- now Load to open project and Create Curtain wall with mullion and set panel size V and H fixed.

block3.png

7- select Created Family panel in Curtain Panel List in the Curtain wall Type properties.

block4.png

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

Thanks so much for your help..... Really appreciated!!! 

Is it possible to explode the different elements of the wall now after placing it in the project?

Thanks again! 🙂 

Message 17 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI

hi

Is not this way. 

Spoiler

Message 18 of 21
ToanDN

Hollow concrete blocks are very common, in every corner of the world.  That's why Revit comes with a host of CMU wall types and CMU detail components so that we can use them right off the bat.

Energy analysis softwares require models to be built with correct physical properties (R value, U value, Coeff value, etc.), correct geographical location and orientation, correct overall building shape and size.  The actual forms of building components such as holes in CMU, profiles of mullions, sizes of rebars, are hardly playing any role in energy analysis results.  In fact, a model built with too much details is often required to be stripped down so that the energy software can digest the information.

If you are doing this to learn some advanced modeling technique, or as a pastime hobby, then suit yourself.  I applaud you, truely.  But if you are doing it because you think it is necessary for your energy analysis, I beg to differ.  You don't have to believe me, but feel free to chat with your energy consultants to confirm what they need.

Message 19 of 21
GHASEM_ARIYANI

Hello

Just use the software the ability was Based on the attached file image.

Not energy calculation and ... .

Energy calculations are calculated Based on the physical material Properties not model Properties. and U Can be determined in the Building Construction window.

However, I want to specify the file was Attached image.

Thank for your attention and guidance.

Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Instead of creating a new post I will ask here. If you make your block wall like it was described here (making it a panel) you can´t place rebar in it right? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report