Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked structural model visibility

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
alina_mcconnochie
2972 Views, 16 Replies

Linked structural model visibility

Architectural walls are masking structural elements from the linked structure revit model. Is there a way to always give the structure model priority over the architectural elements? 

I note from other posts that it is not possible to join / cut elements from a linked model and host model. 

columns linked structure model.JPG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

What you could do is copy-monitor these elements from the structural model, and then join the geometry. And turn the copy-monitored elements off using filter ie.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: alina_mcconnochie

Honestly depend what do you need to achieve in my oponion, but i would suggest  you  to  "patch" the view.

If you need just to show on the sheet  you could use invisible line and then manage the link in visibility and setting to make it similar to your hatch, in this way you could avoid to copy monitoring files increasing the size of your model . 

hope could help 🙂 

Message 4 of 17
RDAOU
in reply to: alina_mcconnochie

You can try the following: In visibility graphics set the RevitLink "view by Linked model setting" >>> open the li led model and set the cut plane in view range to 50mm higher than that of the host example: if host cut plane is 1200mm set the linked to 1250mm >>> back to host and reload link

Alternatively; if it is just a graphic thing u want to use on the sheets, you can create two views, 1 with host only and 2nd with link only then overlay on the sheet

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

I'm having the same issue and in the past I remember sorting it out using voids within the main model in order to get rid of the part of wall that interferes with the columns - not ideal!

I don't quite like the copy/monitor approach as I'd like the structural columns to remain part of the linked structural model. And I wouldn't really like to have two views one on top of the other. 

Your idea to set the cut plane 50mm higher in the linked model and then change to "View by linked model setting" in the main model VG settings is good. However it doesn't seem to work - see screen shot attached. 

Another thing that Revit 2018 doesn't seem to do is change the graphics of the element. E.g. I've tried to customise the hatch once the item is cut (typical plan view condition) making the hatch dark grey and concrete pattern and it doesn't show up. Does anyone know why? 

Is there anyone who has found an easy and efficient way to show structural columns from a linked file in their entirety when they are within or intersect with architectural walls? 

Message 6 of 17
martijn_pater
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thing that Revit 2018 doesn't seem to do is change the graphics of the element. E.g. I've tried to customise the hatch once the item is cut (typical plan view condition) making the hatch dark grey and concrete pattern and it doesn't show up. Does anyone know why? 

Could you include a screenshot of your Revit links settings (within or outside view template)?

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: martijn_pater

See attached main and structural models. Main being "Progetto Corso Base_Architettoonico" and link being "Progetto Corso Base_Strutturale_01". There is no shared coordinates, it was linked "Origin-to-origin". And in terms of graphics I've only been playing with the VG settings. I just don't understand why it's not working...  

Message 8 of 17
RDAOU

@Anonymous 

Judging from other posts/discussions, related to linked models and visibility, it seems some versions/builds had some limitations or bugs which were resolved by either updates or upgrade. I m not sure how it is with 2018 (I do not have that version installed)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 17
RDAOU

@arch.piacentini 

See screencast below showing how it works with changing cut plane and/or visibility of the RevitLINK to manage precedence structural vs architectural 

Message 10 of 17
martijn_pater

It works better in later versions for sure, but you can set the graphics in the linked file, see below. Make sure to adjust the cutplane in the linked file also. edit: actually nvm that about the view detail settings. Your column family however does not have the material parameter associated correctly, and also no material assigned in the project.

Set Revit Links to By Linked view representationSet Revit Links to By Linked view representation

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

@RDAOU @martijn_pater 

Tested both your methods and none of them seems to work. 

What's clear to me is that using "By Linked View" doesn't work. Using "By Host" does show the columns but they are still not cutting the walls as per RDAOU screen cast. See screen shots attached.

Any further suggestions? I really need to sort this out and I'd like to find a proper Revit way to do, without cheating (i.e. place a filled region on top or re-model all the columns within the main model or use copy/monitor). 

Message 12 of 17
martijn_pater

See above post (edited). If you want to have the walls on top, change cut plane in the linked file to below host cutplane as @RDAOU was showing in his screencast.

Cutplane in linked file set below host cutplaneCutplane in linked file set below host cutplane

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Sorry but I'm very confused. 

In @RDAOU screen cast what's shown is that columns are visible if "By Host" is selected and they get hidden if "By Linked View" is selected. Your instructions say the exact opposite. Furthermore, if I try to use the models you've uploaded I can see that the method you have described works and the graphics of floors and columns is different (floor light grey and columns dark grey) - see screen shot. For some reason I'm yet to understand that doesn't work in mine. I can see you haven't changed the graphic of any elements but still you have that grey hatch for both floor and columns, I don't even if I change the graphics in the VG. Why is that? At least after changing the cut plane within the link exactly as per your instructions the visibility priority works now, so the columns are cutting the walls if the "By Linked View" option is selected. That still doesn't make sense to me as RDAOU was showing the exact opposite and in his model it worked fine. I can get my head round it... 

Message 14 of 17
RDAOU

@Anonymous watch the screencast again and pay close attention to the text note!!! Then watch it over again another time till you understand or at least not misinterpret 🙂 

1. When setting View rvtlink "by host"...the linked model will follow host settings both will be cut as per host cut plane
  2. When setting View rvtlink "by Link"...you need to change the cut plane in the linked document because in structural models the cut plane is lower than that of architectural!

Best would be that you test and practice to get a better hang of it. I just tested on a friend's laptop with 2018 and it works just fine too...

Message 15 of 17
martijn_pater

Check the material settings, I've adjusted the settings to make it clearer but apparently that was confusing. Apologies in that case, should have elaborated on that some more.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

@martijn_pater @RDAOU 

Guys, sorry for the hassle! 

I've tested it again and it worked fine. It was not entirely my fault though. It turns out that Revit 2018 has some graphical issues when you want to change the items settings. What I tried to do was cut (or delete, first is better option) the columns and then paste them in the same place. That process had somehow reset the visibility parameters and I was then be able to see the updated graphics as per my VG settings. All sorted! 

Thank you very much for your super speedy response and support. I won't certainly forget that way to make structural columns be seen in the main architectural model. 

PS: Do you know if somewhere there is a guide that explains visibility of items within linked models and also within the same model? I've found an article on the Revit Clinic website but it wasn't that well explained. 

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

@RDAOU 

PS: how come that in your "By Host" settings the columns were completely visible and not cut by the walls? Was that something you set by default? It is weird as I can see that when you open the structural model the cut plane is set much lower than the standard architectural model cut plane, so in theory those columns shouldn't be visible at the very beginning of the video. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report