Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Based Void Family Problem

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mcobb
1721 Views, 2 Replies

Line Based Void Family Problem

Despite reading some good press about it, I am having a hard time getting a line based void family to work.  I've seen some vague 3 stage examples of how one can do it in the following way:

1. Make a face-based elongated box void family and...

2. Nest this family it in a line based family template

3. Insert this in a generic model family to create joints on the surfaces of masses.

I've succeeded in the first two stages but can't seem to get the third stage to work.  Attached is the fruits of my efforts...a broken third stage.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I feel like I've tried every permutation of "cut with void when loaded" and cutting the void before loading and not.  It seems like this kind of flexible functionality could be very helpful.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: mcobb

Didn't have a chance to open your family but I can see flaws from your workflow:  the void in a pre-cut face base family only cuts the immediate host in the parent family (in your case, the line based family).  When you load the line based family to another family or project, the void no longer cuts anything. 

Why don't you create a profile family, load it in the line based family to sweep or extrude a void, tick Cut with void when loaded, then load the line based family to the next family and use Cut Geometry to cut the solid with the line based void?

Message 3 of 3
mcobb
in reply to: ToanDN

You have a way of pulling aside the veil of ignorance ToanDN.  Thank you so much.  I tend to treat all those pesky family templates as so much extra baggage but I can see from your explanation I'm probably trying to do way too much with generic model templates and not relying enough on the work that has already been done by others in setting up these templates.  Thanks again!

Regards,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report