Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Rails from Separate Stairs

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
PhilvK
27506 Views, 13 Replies

Joining Rails from Separate Stairs

In order to be able to edit my stair stringers to relate to the framing at my landings, I have been adding the stair runs individually. I’m not sure this is the best approach, but I keep on learning. In the meantime, the question is: if Stair A is separate from Stair B (see below), is it possible to draw in the missing piece of railing as sketched in red so that the railing is one continuous rail? So far, when I try, it appears that the rail has to be hosted to one run or the other meaning one rail is staying flat, while the other is hosted.

Rail Join 3.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: PhilvK

If you draw the stairs separately you will not be able to "join" the two railings.  You can edit one of the railings and draw in the new line out a bit from the landing edge, across and back to the other railing.  They won't actually join but they will look ok....mostly.

railing.png

If you draw them as all one stair they will automatically join.

Message 3 of 14
PhilvK
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

Yeah, I figured it would be better to do them both as one stair, but just wanted to see if it could be done. Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
PhilvK

Whisperer – Referring to your posy above, the reason I am having to draw the runs separately is that these stairs need to connect to a landing that is part of the building’s floor construction. I get the rail continuity I want by drawing them all together, but when I edit the system to delete the landing that is automatically generated with the stair, the rail on the landing is lost. Is there a way around this?

Message 5 of 14
Revit_Whisperer

You might try copying the rail to the clipboard before you delete the landing...then paste it back in after you delete the landing.

Message 6 of 14
PhilvK

I’ll keep trying to do as you suggest, but am finding that after I delete the landing, the Paste command is grayed out thus not allowing me to add the handrails back in after I copied them.

Message 7 of 14
Revit_Whisperer

Sorry about the copy/paste...I hadn't tried it.  I edited the top railing to create one continuous railing...see the attached video.

Message 8 of 14
PhilvK

Perfect! Thank you very much. I did a quick trial run and your method worked great. I just need a little more practice. Thank you again, especially for the video – that was very helpful.

Message 9 of 14
Revit_Whisperer

Happy to help!

Message 10 of 14
PhilvK

Whisperer – Now I am finding that when I create a switchback stair by sketch like you showed in your video, and try to delete the landing, I get an error message saying I can’t separate the 2 runs without a landing. So, I created a stair by component and was able to delete the landing and leave rails to work with. When I edit the inner rail however they become one and will only host to one stair run or the other. See snips below. Do you have some clues how to fix this? I also attached the practice model if you have time to look at it.

Rail Host 1.JPGRail Host 2.JPG

Message 11 of 14
Revit_Whisperer

I did a video for an option on how to work with this situation.

Message 12 of 14
PhilvK

Thank you again so much!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you for writing and solving this post! It really helped me today.

Message 14 of 14

Thank you for making this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report