Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Phased Project and Doors Not Recognizing Rooms

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ
2215 Views, 19 Replies

Issue with Phased Project and Doors Not Recognizing Rooms

I have a phased project (3 phases) and none of the doors are recognizing the rooms.  The error message keeps mentioning there is no room information with the door.  I checked the door families and the Door Location in ticked on showing the swing to or from arrow.  The arrow is long enough to be in each room.  The Door Schedule will show no room name or any"To" or "From" room information.

Room schedule picks up the room names and numbers.  I thought maybe the actual rooms need to have the same phase assigned to them as the doors but you cannot assign phases to the rooms.

I have searched various forums but everyone seems to suggest the same thing, make sure the door location tick is on in the door family.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: kevinmGFYPQ

You need to copy paste Rooms to each Phase.  If the Phase of the door schedule does not have rooms then the Doors have no Room: To/From information.

Message 3 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ
in reply to: ToanDN

Hello ToanDN.  Before I go on, I need to say thank you for your contributions to this forum.  I have run into several of your posts where you were helping some people and your solutions were spot on and helped me as well.  I have wanted to say thanks for your efforts but keep forgetting to do it.

As for your response here, help me understand your suggestion more.  Maybe I should explain how I do my phasing.  I have one floor plan and the various walls, doors and other elements that occur in each phase on that plan are assigned a phase I create such as phase 1, phase 2 etc.  This is done on the same plan with demolition, existing and new construction.  When I show my phasing plans on how construction will unfold.  I just use the phase filter to show the appropriate demo and construction plans for each phase.  Maybe this is how many do it or maybe it is completely wrong, I do not know.

I attached an image that shows the plan breakdown.  I checked and you were right, I do not have my actual room copied to that phase so I did that with the exam room for door 107-102 which is highlighted and shows the door location arrow.  It is also highlighted int he schedule but there is no room information even after I copy the room there.

Message 4 of 20
ToanDN

- Your plan shows Room tags so there are Rooms there. You just need to change the phase/phase filter of schedule to match the phase/phase filter of the plan if the intent is schedule the doors of that phase.

- It is worth noting that turning on Room calculation point in the door families is not recommended because if an user swaps [Room: From] with [Room: To] in the schedule, the door will flip. If you have Rooms adjacent to the door, the door schedule will recognize them without those arrows.
Message 5 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

@ToanDN wrote:
- Your plan shows Room tags so there are Rooms there. You just need to change the phase/phase filter of schedule to match the phase/phase filter of the plan if the intent is schedule the doors of that phase.

So that is the other challenge, I want the door schedule to show the doors for the entire project, not per phase.  I would have to have separate door schedules if I did this per phase which can work on certain levels I guess.  However, when one has to order the doors on a project where each phase may last only 2 months and the doors have a 6 week lead time, having one door schedule to keep things simple for one door order is ideal.

Back to the original issue at hand, If you look at my door schedule, I have it set to the correct phase and it is still not showing the room information even thought I copied the room to the phase 1 plan.  How do I get the room name to actually show in the schedule?  When using CTC Software and their door renumbering app, I still get the message there is no room information associated with that door.

@ToanDN wrote:
- It is worth noting that turning on Room calculation point in the door families is not recommended because if an user swaps [Room: From] with [Room: To] in the schedule, the door will flip. If you have Rooms adjacent to the door, the door schedule will recognize them without those arrows.

Funny, I have never paid attention to the room calculation point thing until I ran into this problem.  All of the suggested solutions kept saying to turn it on so I did hoping it would help.  Of course it did not.

Message 6 of 20
ToanDN

If you want to schedule door for the entire project then it is even simpler:

- Set the schedule to the last phase, phase filter = show complete

- Open a floor plan of the last phase and make sure all the rooms are there

If you already copied pasted the rooms to the last phase and they still not show in the schedule then you need to share the file here because it is unusual.

Message 7 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

I have all of the doors showing int he schedule but nothing I do shows the room name in the schedule.  There has to be a way to make this work. 

Message 8 of 20
ToanDN

Share the file.
Message 9 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

Sure, best way to share it?  It is 25 megs.

Message 10 of 20
ToanDN

25 MB is okay to attach directly to your post.
Message 11 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

File Attached and thanks again. 

Message 12 of 20
ToanDN

You did not add any From Room and To Room parameters to the schedule.  I added both but you may only need to add either From or To.  Then you can click on each Room name in the schedule and swap From/To if you like to show one and not the other.

image.png

Message 13 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

Hello ToanDN,

Sorry, I am late in responding.  Out of office in meetings and had not chance to jump back on this. 

I am going to look at my file again and check out what you mentioned.  I have not been working in Revit to do construction drawings for a little while since I have been focused on 3 other software platforms doing presentation and design development type stuff.  I knew there was something off about the door schedule but I was not sure and did not check one of my previous door schedules in another Revit Project.

I would assume though that the suggestions you made earlier are still valid though on phased projects, correct?

Message 14 of 20
ToanDN

Yes, the suggestions are valid through on phased projects. In fact, I have never been lucky enough to work on any projects with only one phase.
Message 15 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

So I was playing around with this and yes, the room to and room from parameters allow me to see room names and numbers but depending on the to and from space, I am not getting all of the correct information to use in one columns showing the appropriate room name and number.   I am curious why the room name column stays blank in all of this.

I looked at one of my previous door schedules i had done in non-phased projects  and sure enough, what I did was use the "to room" column and renamed that column to be just Name.  Even in the non-phased project, the actual room name parameter supplies nothing.  Makes no sense since it is a door field/ parameter.  I'll mark your suggestion as a solution because it works and fixes my issue but it is more of a "hack", would you not agree?

Message 16 of 20
ToanDN

If Room From: lists Room A and Room To: lists Room B, you can simply click on the Room in the schedule and swap them for any doors. Just remember to not turning on Room Calculation Point in any door families or the door will flip if you swap the rooms.

For example, if a Door from a Corridor to an Office lists Room From = Office and Room To = Corridor, you can click on either Room From or Room To in the schedule and change it to list Room From = Corridor and Room To = Office.

Message 17 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

Yes, that works and I have done that before so we are good.  However, would you agree though that one should be able to just use the Room Name parameter/ field in the door schedule field options?  I just think it is kind of odd.

However, the point is to find a solution that works and you have been a great help so thanks!

Message 18 of 20
ToanDN

The Room Name parameter in your file is a custom parameter added to the Doors category. It has no relationship with the actual Rooms in your project and you would have to manually enter the value for it for each door, or use Dynamo to write information to it.
Message 19 of 20
kevinmGFYPQ

Thank you for the explanation.  I am starting to wonder if you are human or are you a virtual revit resource that has all of the answers in a database that where you just retrieve the data as necessary.  I may need to come up with a real problem to test this theory out....:)

Message 20 of 20
josh2HW23

I get you Kevin - I'm having the same issue, and I have not found the work around. I have some doors that are existing, and I have some doors that are new construction. The door schedule will show the room names of the existing doors if I set the door schedule to existing but the new construction doors location data will show blank. Vice Versa, if I set my schedule to new construction, then all the room data disappears from my existing doors and populates the new construction room data. Can we set the door schedule to have both existing and new construction - it seems not. Just wanted to flag youre not the only one out there going crazy 😕 I'm setting all my doors to new construction and it hurts a little on the inside!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators