Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ""lock"" the revit file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2012 Views, 6 Replies

How to ""lock"" the revit file

Hello all. 

The situation is: I have to send the rvt file to a engineering company. They will do the plumbing system and etc. I would like to lock the file so they can only link to their file, preveting them from editing/stealing my companies template and other stuff. Is it currently possible to do?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hmunsell
in reply to: Anonymous

Run your file thru eTransmit for Revit.

• pick Cleanup
    • Purge Unused
  • at the bottom pick Remove all sheets but include
    • pick Selected View Types
    • in the Select Button
    • UNCHECK everything

this will strip your model down to only the model content actively in your file, which is all they should need for coordination. 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
syman2000

I wouldn't get too paranoid over people stealing other people's template and content. Most cases I hardly copy anything from other consultant because the work flow is very different. As well your modeling standard will different from others. If you have your own parameters, why any company want to deal with that? I already had issue dealing with 3rd party parameters from manufacturer.

What you should look out for is people learning Revit from another country and asking for sample files and use that to charge other clients.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: syman2000

A lot of our content has been "pirated" over time from "unlocked" projects shared with us. I'm sure others have lifted content from our projects.  It's a dog eat dog world and we're all wearing Milkbone underwear. 

😉

Norm.png

Message 5 of 7
RobDraw

This subject has been discussed many times in these forums over multiple platforms. Have yourself a search and enjoy the reading. Some of the discussions get quite heated.

The only way to protect your content is to not share any models. Quite contradictory to a collaborative environment. 

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 7
Karol_Piroska

you could send them an IFC file if they are happy with it. I personally hate IFC, they are far far from being perfect but they are fine for some building types. 

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

Have you ever asked yourself the question what a plumbing engineering company would use your template and other stuff for?  Are they an architectural firm (or whatever discipline your firm is) pretending to be an engineering company just to steal your template and other stuff?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report