Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent CS Profile of Solid Form from tilting about Reference line Axis?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
BalajiHTI
1490 Views, 9 Replies

How to prevent CS Profile of Solid Form from tilting about Reference line Axis?

Hello,

I am creating a Sweep with a simple rectangular profile in Generic Model Adaptive Family.

Reason: The sweep is having curvature both in Plan layout and Longitudinal Section. Like a Rail Road.

What I did:

1. I used Generic Model Adaptive.rft template to create a blank family file

2. Added Reference Points

3. Set an elevation (Z Value) for them

4. Created a 3D Spline by selecting those Reference Points

Instance Property of Reference Line.png

5. Selected the line and In Instance Properties, clicked on the Check Box, Is Reference? => Yes

6. Select the beginning of the Reference line

7. Set the work plane perpendicular to the Reference line,

8. Created that Simple Cross Sectional Profile of a rectangle

9. Ctrl Selected the Rectangle and the Reference Line

10. Created Form.

Now the problem is, the profile is not upright vertical and in many locations, it is tilted.

Pic 0: In Wire Frame Mode, The Reference Points, 3D Spline Created out of it (Green Line; Turns green when Checking Is Reference? = Yes) & Created Sweep.

Reference Points, Line and Created Sweep in Wire Frame.png

Pic 1: Cross section of the Sweep Form is tilted

Mass Form Tilted Profile.png

Pic 2: The Plan view of the Sweep has 4 projection lines since the object is tilted about the Reference Line / Axis of Sweep.

4 Lines in Plan.png

Reference Points, Line and Created Sweep in Solid Mode.png

Zoom Into Tilted Sweep.png

Now which setting should I change to make it upright and vertical?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RDAOU
in reply to: BalajiHTI

@BalajiHTI

Since it is more like a track...it is hard to keep the profile straight cut vertical (plumb).

Several comments on your method

1. when you host a profile; do not host it on the plane of one of the ref. point which you used to connect with "Spline throu Points"
  2. Make it a habit to host a new ref or model point on the spline and host your profile on that point (keep spline & its points as a clean guide track/wireframe)
  3. After you create/form the sweep...select it and on the top right select LOCK profile...this will help keep it in shape so it wont blend too much on curves - If you dont have hard curves this may somewhat solve your problem...if its hard turns and double curves (splines never go leveled around curves) you need to do it as described below
  4. Profiles...model those in a generic model template (using model lines). Just 4 lines locked to 4 ref planes with width x lenght parameters. Load this into the the adptive.

On your issue with the straight plumb profile...

• You don't need the profile because profiles (namely segmental ones) are hard to keep plumb. it will follow the curviture of the spline path.
  • You Need to host the profile on 2 parallel leveled splines (similar to a train track).
  • to level the track
    1. Use vertical ref lines between each adaptive point below and elevated ref point above it then host a point on that vetical ref line
    2. those new ref points can be controled using their normalized curve parameter
    3. You select those points in the middle and connect using spline through points
    4. On the two guiding spline you host a point on each and you parametrize their NCP so that they move synced with each other

For the profile..

1. An adaptive profile (set always vertical with 2 placement points (which you can host on each of the placed points above in bullet 4)
  2. The generic model profile hosted on a point hosted on a ref line connecting the two points mentioned in bullet 4 above

OR ... you can make 4 perfectly leveled / parallel spline tracks host on each a point and set the NCP of all 4 to sync their movement then connect those (pair-wise) with a ref line then sweep those ref line

If the above makes sense to you mark the solution...I will prepare a screencast if I find some time after finishing screencast for the other post from JasonLlindner

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 10
RDAOU

@BalajiHTI

Here is one screencast on how to do it...there are several other ways too; but all circle around the same principle (profile should be hosted on a properly guided track (ie: always horizontal/vertical)

I used

1. 2 x splines as a track;
  2. 1x connector hosted between 2 points (top and bottom) with same NCP
  3. hoset profile on a cantilievered Ref line from a point hosted on the vertical connector
  4. profile is an 4 points adaptive family

a better method which I thought of after doing this, might be using a parametrized divided path with repeaters

VDuct.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 10
BalajiHTI
in reply to: RDAOU

Great help! I will try this method.
Message 5 of 10
RDAOU

@BalajiHTI

Kindly mark solution if you find it helpful and to help others as well

Message 6 of 10
JasonLLINDNER

Hey RDAOU 

Sorry for the intrusion but Does this apply also to pattern based families? Or is does that have some other method? I've been having similar issues with that maybe you can help. Or better post it as new question?

ps: for whatever it's worth; I think you're the boss of adaptive components on this forum! You seem to be the only one to answer such questions! Even those posted by people who never or rarely mark awesome replies as solutions! Pity and shame

Message 7 of 10
RDAOU
in reply to: JasonLLINDNER

🙂 thanks I'm flattered lol ... Won't be around for long though 

to your question; best if you submit it as a new post. They are somewhat similar topics but not exactly similar. Best would also be if you provide a rvt file or images of what you are working with, screenshot is ok too. unsubscribing to this post.

PS: people are free not to accept solution (that would be only to help others find reply to a similar case) besides it comes usually out of one's courtesy 🙂

Message 8 of 10
BalajiHTI

Hi @RDAOU, I very much want to Accept as Solution ASAP once I tried it for once completely. 🙂 FYI, The embedded Screencast video became private even though I am logged in. Can you make it public again?
Message 9 of 10
RDAOU

@BalajiHTI

I can't...apparently it showed contents from the workstation's desktop when I did it and which someone seems to have noticed it...I wasn't aware I needed prior consent before publishing that (at least not something that insignificant!

So here is a simpler one from my home PC! (I didn’t use a profile...I think you should be fairly ok with modeling one and nesting it in)

You just need to host the profile to an "always vertical" or "always horizintal" element

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

"Won't be around for long though " ? 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report