Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit and customize the UniformatClassifications.txt file

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SteveFong
4502 Views, 11 Replies

How to edit and customize the UniformatClassifications.txt file

I can't find any documentation on how Revit interprets the UniformatClassifications.txt file.  The logic of the Keynote file is well documented, but I can't find any information on the assembly code files.  

When opened in Excel it looks like this:

UniformatClassifications_2010.txt - Excel.png

Revit interprets this as:

Choose Assembly Code - UniformatClassification.png

I am having a hard time understanding the logic of how this works. 

Column D must be related to the Revit Category. 

Can anyone point me to a reference?  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveFong

Alphabetical order....

1: Top Level

.... 2: Secondary Level

........ 3: Sub-level

............... 4: Itemized

.... 2: Secondary Level

........ 3: Sub-level

............... 4: Itemized

etc...

Message 3 of 12
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

There's also add-ins for managing, changing , adding assembly codes.  FWIW.

Message 4 of 12
SteveFong

Thanks, but I tried that already, and it didn't work.  Further, Column D is important for something, I think categories. 

I am looking for comprehensive instructions from Autodesk.  I have been unable to find them. 

Message 5 of 12
SteveFong

I didn't describe my goal.  I am at the investigation phase of trying to get my uniformatClassifications.txt to match RS Means.  This would require that I basically rewrite the .txt file, but I need to understand its formatting well to be able to accomplish this. 

Message 6 of 12
SteveFong

So, I had tried this, but apparently I had some sort of problem in my formatting.  I think you are correct!  Thanks for the answer.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

When you use Excel you need to export it to a certain format of txt file for it to work...Think it is uniformat...but I could be wrong.  I usually just use the text editor.  In the case of the Keynote file I use Keynote Manager, which the format is very similar.

Message 8 of 12
barthbradley

@SteveFong wrote:

Column D must be related to the Revit Category. 

Column D does refer to Categories. For instance "-2000011" is "1;Model;Walls;-2000011;;True;False"

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Oh....btw...

"Note: Autodesk does not recommend or support edits made to the Uniformat data file (UniformatClassifications.txt) located in %APPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\<product name and release>."

Message 10 of 12

"Autodesk does not recommend or support edits made to the Uniformat data file (UniformatClassifications.txt)"

This is frustrating...

Here's a modified version of the file that works using common sense and can be edited.

To do this fix, I've replaced the undocumented and arbitraty code (-2000011) with the proper code in the first column. To do this, I had to count the number of characters in each cell of the first colums

=LEN(A1)

, then assign a level based on the length characters

=IF(B2=1, 1, IF(B2=3, 2, IF(B2=5, 3, IF(B2=8, 4, IF(B2=13, 5, "Other")))))

Then I did IF statements to capture the appropriate level below and concatenated each column into a final result. Now the file is useable using the common logic.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-99AE9D3E-3326-4F21-ADC5-303F2E1A2135

Message 11 of 12

I did a three aprt video series on this problem today if you're curious, the fix is detailled in Part 1 & 2. It explains how to go from a custumized Uniformat Excel document to a Revit Keynote classification file. It also explains why the default Uniformat classification file is lacking and should be skipped altogether.

Estimation in BIM - Part 1 - Proper Formatting in Excel

https://www.loom.com/share/4a4c44c4eff841ff8527fc46abd5eb7a?sid=215e08da-17bb-4419-b304-c0482f3c9b2c

Estimation in BIM - Part 2 - Accurate Revit Keynote File

https://www.loom.com/share/c5f1f82f536b4196b37fe8118b9660bc?sid=a2b94a89-0f71-4c37-9362-caab2be6a20d

Estimation in BIM - Part 3 - Construction Data, Standards & Collaboration Philosophy

https://www.loom.com/share/1eaeb2c413f04ee1b7c001d64a132815?sid=1c5227bf-99bc-4ce5-85b9-5bf08b89d10e

Message 12 of 12
SteveFong

Great Videos!  Thanks for breaking it down and showing your code.  Love the method and your philosophy in Part 3.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report