Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create custom concrete shapes (new user)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2166 Views, 4 Replies

How to create custom concrete shapes (new user)

Hello all,

I'm a very new user to Revit who has so far been able to use the standard library of steel and concrete sections for what i need. However i'd really like to be able to create custom concrete shapes by sketching them, items such as retaining walls with a heel and toe. I also need to be able to design rebar in them which i dont think you can do with a Revit mass? I have no idea how to make these shapes, i presume skilled users would create families but i am clueless on making these. Is it possible to draw up what i need in Formit, then bring into Revit and convert the imported mass into elements that can then have bars added to them? Or is learning families the best way.

I would be extremely grateful for any help with this.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried FormIt, it is great as a massing tool.

Its use should ideally be restricted to masterplan massing type exercises... it's REALLY good for that. Once we begin modelling 'things' (columns, floors, beams, doors etc) you'll find a need to re-model (trace) in a BIM authoring tool (Revit), placing objects that inherently know what they are and can have data attached to them.

Only walls and floors can change to revit elements easily. (as of my knowledge)

Remaining sketches are not belong to any category., just a 3D sketch.

You cannot use the BIM features for these 3D objects (schedule, clash detection, 4D, 5D, etc.,)

so, better to model in revit. 

Initially it will take some time to learning the families, but it is very good for your BIM/Revit Projects.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I was afraid you were going to say that! There's really no point in tracing my walls in Formit first then?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I cannot understand ur question.

By using the Wall by Face command, u can change the FormIt mass to Revit Wall.FormIt Wall.JPG

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I was just thinking that as you can create a mass in Revit anyway, is there any point in doing it in Formit first?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report