Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a material to a custom component inside of a model?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2893 Views, 8 Replies

How to add a material to a custom component inside of a model?

I built a space using mainly extrusions. How do I add a material to them? I have tried the Materials under the Manage tab but was unsuccessful. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated as it is due on Monday.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Edit the in-place component and change the material(s) for the extrusion(s).

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

This is what I see. What do I do from here?

Message 4 of 9
ToanDN

What did you create it with?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I don't see a materials section in my property panels like you have? How can I get it to show up?

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

What did you create that thing with?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Margaret, as Toan has asked, we need to know how you modelled what we see in the image you posted. We are asking because when you select it, in your contextual ribbon (the green part) we are not seeing what we expect to see. It doesn't appear to be an in-place family or family, hence we are curious to know what you have used to create the geometry. 

Message 8 of 9
ToanDN

Based on your screenshot below, my guess is that you import a SAT file in the in-place model family.  In 2017, I have not found a way to assign materials to such elements.  If it is true, you would have to open the SAT file in AutoCAD and assign layers to the geometry, save as DWG and import or link the DWG in Revit.

A better approach is model them directly in Revit using native tools like walls, opening, floors, etc... 

2017-11-25.png

Message 9 of 9
planner_matlabi

Sat Change To DWG
DWG Import to Revit

Revit-->Manage Tab-->Object Style-->Imported Object-->Material

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report