Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House level vs Topography. - Survey point vs Project Base Point

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JKspace424
2500 Views, 14 Replies

House level vs Topography. - Survey point vs Project Base Point

I'm having trouble getting the house level to work with the topography.  The topography was created with absolute elevation points.  The house levels were adjusted by relocating the project relative to Survey point.  However the topography is way off, no matter how I try to adjust the survey point or the Base project point.

Am I supposed to just separate out the topography as a separate file and then import?  What is to most logical solution?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
zemeraloni
in reply to: JKspace424

Hi,

I personaly don't think you need to seperate the topo and the house model, when you will want to add pads and other landscape elements it will be in a dif revit file and that is not the best working method.

I'm not sure what do you  mean by "way off" but read this short article (link below) it may help you to bring your topo and house together. BTW i'm not sure what happaned but it seems like something with your coordination working process was wrong and it may couse coordination issues later.

Good luck

Zemer

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Message 3 of 15
Ilic.Andrej

This happened cause you moved the survey point when it was clipped.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 4 of 15
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

@Ilic.Andrejwrote:

This happened cause you moved the survey point when it was clipped.

Here is a way to get out of this. Select the project base point, unclip it, right click and "move to startup location", clip it again. Then, create a level which will have the same elevation as the project base point. Then, make sure that the survey point is clipped. Go to Manage/Project Location/Specify Coordinates at Point. Select the level that you created and write 0 elevation. Now you can delete that level.

After you do this and if you want to move any of the points, unclip them before you do it.

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 5 of 15
loboarch

This topic in the Help might give you a little insight.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-B73E0D49-3330-4876-B8BD-7C23B9340626

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 15
JKspace424
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

dr Grozozo

I did as you wrote but I'm still having the same problem.  

The topography is at 97' elevation but the house 1st floor elevation is sitting at 574'. 

The topography elevation is where it needs to be, but I need the house elevation to be 107'.  

How do I do this without having to move the entire house manually?

Message 7 of 15
Ilic.Andrej

I'm not sure if you misunderstood or the cause of your problem is different than the one I assumed, so I will make you a screencast which will show a similar problem and a solution. Brb

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

Do you need something like this?

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 15
JKspace424
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes.  How do I get my project to look like ToanDN's picture?

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN

@JKspace424 wrote:

Yes

If you create it from scratch then go to an elevation and move the survey point 107' down from the project base point, the change the level type to reference survey point.

if you already have things drawn, then post a srceenshot of the elevation similar to what I show so I can see where things stand.

Message 11 of 15
JKspace424

how do I get the house to be at 107' without the topography elevation changedFull page photo.jpg

Message 12 of 15
Ilic.Andrej

Here is a screencast. It should be displayed soon. Turn on the sound

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 13 of 15
ToanDN

- Un-clip the project base point, grab the blue group in the pic 1 below, and move it up 467'

- Re-clip the project base point

- Edit the Level type and change Elevation Base to Survey point (pic 2)

- If you need to annotate the topo contour label to show the true elevation, then go to a site plan, edit the contour label type and change Elevation base to Survey Point (Pic 3)

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 14 of 15
JKspace424

Thanks everyone for your help. 

My understanding at this moment is that the "absolute elevation" points that were created on the topography can not be adjusted to the current survey point or project base point.  

When I try to adjust or modify the topography, the 97' elevation (which show up correctly as 97' with spot elevation call-outs) is now at 563.77' when I highlight a point in edit mode.  I guess when I start the grading the topography would just have to be put into another file for proper editing and imported back into the house file.  Am I correct to think this way?

Message 15 of 15
ToanDN

@Remington424 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help. 

My understanding at this moment is that the "absolute elevation" points that were created on the topography can not be adjusted to the current survey point or project base point.  

When I try to adjust or modify the topography, the 97' elevation (which show up correctly as 97' with spot elevation call-outs) is now at 563.77' when I highlight a point in edit mode.  I guess when I start the grading the topography would just have to be put into another file for proper editing and imported back into the house file.  Am I correct to think this way?

It is recommended to have the topo in a separate file but it is not a must.  You can still see the topo points with the absolute elevation value (as when you start placing them) when moving the project base point and survey point to where your project requires.  Keep in mind that the only thing absolute in a Revit model is the Origin Point, not Project base Point, not Survey Point.  Everything else is relative to the Origin Point or to one another.

See screencast for a demonstration on how to keep the topo and moving the SP and PBP:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report