Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth in Revit 2019

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
19504 Views, 10 Replies

Google Earth in Revit 2019

I'm looking for an Addin/on for Revit 2019 to get the google earth location into a Revit file for rendering purposes. Can anyone help? I found CADtoEarth and Globe Link that work with earlier versions of Revit but have not been able to find anything for Revit 2019

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk Community! I see that you are visiting as a new member. Smiley Happy

Interesting question! Yes looks like globe link and CAD Earth support earlier versions of Revit, the 2019 versions may be in the pipeline. See CADtoEarth.Revit (contact: support@amcbridge.com for information about Revit 2019 releases)

The good news is that CAD Earth, however, supports AutoCAD 2019, you can convert your KLM to DWG and import that file into Revit.

Another route as suggested by @sureshchotrani is to export the Google earth model to Infraworks and then import to Revit. See screencast by @Anonymous on steps on how to Add Google Earth Image to Infraworks Model and another one: Infraworks - Import a KML file

@cbcarch also recommends you take a look here for a (google maps importer for Revit) terrain for Revit from Analist Group

You could also browse for KLM to dwg converters online and a similar one here at Plex Earth. (With Plex.Earth 4, you can visualize terrain morphology with elevation contours and import thousands of terrain elevation points into AutoCAD) Check out the features.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

In addition to the previous post and recommendations, we have a converter where you can upload your KML File and Convert to dxf, then import the dxf into Revit.

Below is a screencast showing the steps:

Let me know how it goes. I look forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
ToanDN

Does AutoCAD MAP 3D work for importing terrains?
Message 5 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN I tried with Map 3D, looks like we will have to use dxf's for polygons, paths, extuded elements, etc  and the import misses element imports, but I'll have to confirm if this happens with other files.

Map3DMap3DRegards,

Message 6 of 11
Matt__W

@ToanDN @Viveka_CD You can export the terrain from Civil 3D using the LandXML option and then import it into it Revit using the Site Designer add-in. I created a Screencast about a year ago showing the cross-collaboration between InfraWorks to Civil 3D to Revit to Navisworks and everything in between.

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 7 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Matt__W

Hi @Matt__W

Thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

Here is another thread that talks about Infraworks to Revit and best practices.

Regards,

Message 8 of 11
steve

Why no sound with these videos?  really impedes understanding.

Message 9 of 11
Viveka_CD
in reply to: steve

Hi @steve

Thanks for reporting this. I will check back with the screencast for audio or will post a new one.

Regards,

Message 10 of 11
steve

thank you for this comprehensive answer;

My quest:   Make a massing model in revit and link it into 3d version of Google Earth.    The products reviewed seem fixed on bringing in the 3d land contours to Revit.    I want to put a revit building or mass into Google Earth with 3d buildings..   The product that is needed functions like Globe Link for Revit shown here... https://vimeo.com/15461591   This video is for revit r2011.  I don't find Globe Link in the Revit Marketplace.  Is it gone?    

I have read this string.  (that I am appending this to)  I've tried GeoToCad but drawbacks seem to be

• I can't make it work without crashing exports to pdf 
  • it approximates the size and orientation of the imported model which has to be adjusted with guestimates
  • it has no 3d buildings, at least as I've been able to find. 

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: steve

@steve wrote:

thank you for this comprehensive answer;

My quest:   Make a massing model in revit and link it into 3d version of Google Earth.    The products reviewed seem fixed on bringing in the 3d land contours to Revit.    I want to put a revit building or mass into Google Earth with 3d buildings..   The product that is needed functions like Globe Link for Revit shown here... https://vimeo.com/15461591   This video is for revit r2011.  I don't find Globe Link in the Revit Marketplace.  Is it gone?    

I have read this string.  (that I am appending this to)  I've tried GeoToCad but drawbacks seem to be

• I can't make it work without crashing exports to pdf 
  • it approximates the size and orientation of the imported model which has to be adjusted with guestimates
  • it has no 3d buildings, at least as I've been able to find. 

You need SketchUp Pro. 

- Export the Revit model to DWG or any other format (IFC?) accepted by SketchUp

- Create a SketchUp model and use the Google Earth plug-in to grab the Google Earth terrain

- Import the exported Revit model in and locate it to match the terrain

- Use the Google Earth plug-in to export the model to Google Earth as .kml or .kmz (I don't remember exactly which)

- Open Google Earth and open the .km* file above and your model should appear in your Google Earth session.

Disclaimer:  I did it some ten years ago when SketchUp was still under Google so I am not certain about the recent versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report