Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a revit file(that has a navisworks coordination model) into Navisworks

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
jsanders
4066 Views, 26 Replies

Exporting a revit file(that has a navisworks coordination model) into Navisworks

Hello,

I have a Revit file :

The client has sent me a Navisworks file (the machine and process of the building). I've put it into Revit :

However when I export everything into Navisworks I get this : 

Is there a way to have the navisworks file that is in the revit to be inside the exported navisworks file ? This can't be intended, how are we suppose to coordinate and check clashes ?

Thank you for your answers.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Onward still he goes, Yet ne'er looks forward further than his nose ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
DangTiep
in reply to: jsanders

I think you could use Append to link nwc file form your client to coordinate

Screenshot_1.png

Message 3 of 27
jsanders
in reply to: DangTiep

Hello thank you for your answer.

I do not have this button when I click on the navisworks file inside revit : 

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Onward still he goes, Yet ne'er looks forward further than his nose ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Message 4 of 27
SteveKStafford

Using Navisworks combine an export of your model (to NWC) with the NWC file you've been given. The Append button shown in the previous reply is in Navisworks, not Revit. In Navisworks, we combine files (Append) as it is a file aggregator for model review.

Revit does not export the coordination model back to NWC format when you create (export) an NWC file from within Revit. You already have the NWC file to append in Navisworks directly, the coordination model file you linked into Revit.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 27
jsanders
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I understand this but I have to replace the client's NWC model, i've already done this on Navisworks (the origins aren't the same).

It's really incredible that it's not possible to export a Navisworks file that's inside Revit. It makes no sense. Didn't Autodesk think about it ?

Message 6 of 27
SteveKStafford

The positioning of your model compared to theirs is something you'll need to resolve regardless assuming you intend to share your model with the people who provided the NWC file to you.

Linking a coordination model is a recent development, added to Revit. It was added because people wanted to, some users anyway, avoid having to use Navisworks to review how their model compared to other models. As such I don't think it was an obvious expectation to turn around and then export a linked NWC back to NWC file format from within Revit. If they did consider making it possible then something must have convinced them not to do it yet.

In the context of resolving their misalignment being able to export a coordination model to NWC again would be an interesting way to get around it...if it actually resolved the positioning of the files in the process. I'm guessing they would still not line up with any other models, if any. It's just the ones coming from Revit that would line up.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 7 of 27
jsanders
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Still is it very sad that this is not possible. I spent 1 hour putting the models back together in Navisworks. Autodesk should do something about this.

Message 8 of 27
jsanders

Hey wtf there is no solution to my problem yet a message has been accepted as a solution here. What ? Is Autodesk forums as corrupted and rigged as the american government ?

Message 9 of 27
Viveka_CD

Hi @jsanders

I hear you. I have unmarked the solution, sorry for any confusion!

In order to go ahead with this issue you are facing, we would like to reproduce this issue. Is it possible to share a file with you and a journal - to test at our end? I can also forward this to the development team. 

Let me know and I can share a private folder with you to test.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Message 10 of 27
jsanders
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hello, 

It is very easy to create a revit file, add 3 or 4 random walls, then export that in Navisworks.

Then create another revit file, add 2 walls and a door, import the navisworks, then export the revit file into nwc and you will see that the're won't be the 3 or 4 random walls.

Message 11 of 27
Viveka_CD

Hi @jsanders

Thank you for the quick response.Smiley Happy

I see what you are saying. The development team would still need a journal and your file to test and compare results once we reproduce this issue.

We would be able to diagnose system information as well as Graphics related data to RAM utilization etc.

Just to confirm do you use Navisworks 2018?

Regards,

Message 12 of 27
jsanders

Hello I can send you a journal yes but this has nothing do to with hardware or RAM. The fact that you are saying this shows that you don't quite get what the problem is, unless I'm mistaken.

It's like if I said the GPS on my car doesn't work, and you ask me to check if I have enough air in my tires...

Message 13 of 27
dgorsman

Steady on... while you may be frustrated, keeping things professional will get you more help.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 14 of 27
jsanders
in reply to: dgorsman

I am as steady as the will of Autodesk to not add a 3D perspective toggle in Revit 🙂

Message 15 of 27
Viveka_CD

Hi @jsanders

Yes, I do understand the issue perfectly, and I've been in touch with the Navisworks experts regarding this issue (maybe a bug - but the dev team has to confirm)

Let me clarify, this could be an idea request or feature improvement request but we need ammunition to go forward with review/implementation, which is the reason why the journals and Revit model, version(s) used are generally requested.

If you are unable to share the above for confidential reasons, that's fine else I can send you a private upload folder.

Thanks,

Message 16 of 27
jsanders

Indeed I can't curently share the file for confidential reasons.

What I understood however is that it is intended that the Navisworks file inside a revit won't "re-export" into a NWC.

Message 17 of 27
Viveka_CD

@jsanders No worries.

I've replicated this issue and will post back if there is an update from the development team or API team. Hopefully, we will file this as a feature request.

Have a nice rest of the day! Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 27
jsanders

Hello,

Indeed, this would be really nice. Especially that right now, I have to open the 2 separate NWC and merge them into Navisworks, thus meaning that I can't save in .nwd.

Hopefully you can send the info to the Navisworks team and make this a top priority. Because right now we can put Navisworks into Revit, which is nice, but we can't have the navisworks file into the NWC exported from Revit.

Have a nice day also 🙂 Thanks

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous

Hi,

I would like to know if this issue have been solved ? As I am running into the same challenges as  @jsanders .

Thanks,

Brice

Message 20 of 27
jsanders

I agree, any updates on this @Viveka_CD ?

also : Happy New Year !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report