Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Element-to-Area association

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
319 Views, 3 Replies

Element-to-Area association

I am looking for the right combination of any or all of {rooms, areas, spaces}.

I unerstand that I can use a built-in-parameter to determine that an element is in a specific room.

Is there a similar way to determine that an element is within a particular 'area'? ( Presumably this is somewhat more complex, since there may be multiple area schemes, etc.)

Is there something similar with spaces?  My gut tells me that I should not be looking at spaces to represent my areas, but they seem to have some features that areas do not.

If I want to export information and/or generate schedules  for elements based on which area they are in, and there is no built-in way to find this, I suspect I will need to have a routine that establishes the relationship (via 'point-in-polyline'...) and then sets a (shared) parameter on the elements.  Clearly such a routine would have to be run at appropriate times, such as when things are modified, etc.  Any suggestions for a methodology on this?  (Hopefully something clever to avoid serious performance hit...)

Thanks again...

Abba

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Karambaki
in reply to: Anonymous

Mmmm there's a ring missing of this, Checkout the screenshot, is this what are you looking for ?
for simply an area "not closed by walls" just use the room boundary tool to creata custom area for your room and according to it,
It will update the schedule.

If that's now what you're looking for, please tell me,
Scheduling.png

Karam Baki
Architect, Revit Guru, ACI

Facebook | Students' Work | LinkedIn

E-Mail : karam@aecedx.com

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Karambaki

Thanks for your post, Karam,

This all looks straightforward, as long as we are using "room" objects.  That's no problem, with standard revit mechanisms as you show, and also with the API, in which we can use a built-in parameter to test the room of an element.

The problem is that I am not happy using rooms at at the moment.  Perhaps you can suggest a way to overcome these problems:

1. I need some flexibility in determining the room boundaries.  The standard rules of wall surface or wall center, etc won't work for the areas I want to define.  It could be possible to make all the walls non-bounding, and then just draw rooms all out of boundaries, but that seems awkward.

2. I need to define more than one set of areas, which I can do with areas using multiple area schemes.  Rooms don't seem to allow me this.

So, the question still remains whether there is a straightforward way to test for an element being inside of an area.  Let me know if this makes sense.

Abba

Message 4 of 4
Karambaki
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe I got it,

Just to make sure,

The following screenshot, is it similer to your need in problem number (2) assuming you have all rooms because there's no easy way to make the revit detect if this piece is inside an Area, but it's pretty direct to make it detect if the piece is inside a room,

The following screenshot shows a quick schedule of a project *Not ment to be scheduled though
each column of data is a roomset,
when there's a function name inside the roomset, then this piece exists inside that function in that roomset,
Is this what you're looking for ?

RoomsetsP.png

We'll get to other alternatives later, I just need to make sure that this will serve your needs for multiple schemes,

Greetings,
Karam

Karam Baki
Architect, Revit Guru, ACI

Facebook | Students' Work | LinkedIn

E-Mail : karam@aecedx.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report